Landvoice Refresh

Brett Gunter
Mar 13 · 4 min read

The Product

Landvoice is a lead gathering application for real estate agents. The application scrapes the web for expired and FSBO (for sale by owner) listings so that agents can try and get the property listed with them. The application also gives access to properties who may soon be up for foreclosure, and let’s you pull a list of the addresses of all properties in a certain radius from another property.

The Problem

Landvoice was built a looong (nearly 10 years) time ago. It really hasn’t been updated much since it’s initial release. I’m currently working on a complete redesign of the application and even reevaluating what the essence of the application is. This rebuild of Landvoice however is going to take a long time to build (current estimations are over a year) so to provide some value to the users while this major project is underway I’m working on a quick UI refresh of the existing application without changing or adding any major functionality so that a quick HTML/CSS update can be made.

Research

As a part of the complete rebuild of Landvoice, I’ve completed about 30 user interviews and watched over 100 sessions of Landvoice being used. From this research I’ve identified several problems that could be solved with a simple design refresh while the new application is being worked on. They are as follows:

  1. It’s difficult to tell which page in the navigation the user is on.
  2. The information in the leads is really hard to read. There is no visual hierarchy in the information and many users ask about information that is already listed.
  3. Tags and Notes are hard to find. Tags and Notes are our most requested feature even though they already exist. Users don’t know they’re there because they’re pretty well hidden.
  4. Users have to apply a search every time they leave and come back to the application.
Current View of Application

Design

With those problems in mind, here is the redesign I came up with that would not add or change anything on the backend so that our front end developer could implement everything in HTML and CSS.

I added icons and a selected state to the navigation bar so that it could be collapsed and so that users would be able to better tell what page they’re on.

In my interviews with the users I found that they don’t need all the information we’re providing them to make the call. The information that is most important to the user is:

  1. Property Address
  2. Price
  3. Status and Status Date
  4. Owner name and address
  5. All the contact information we have related to that property

I put the information in an expandable card so that the most important information is viewable without action and then once the users has made a call, they can expand the card to view the rest of the information we have on the user.

I also gave tags and notes a little more visual presence so that the users would know where the feature is. Tags and Notes is currently our most requested feature even though it’s a feature we already have!

I moved the filters to the top of the list of leads so that it’s clear what the filters are being applied to. Some users were confused that the filters might apply to every page being that they were at the navigation level.

Conclusion

This redesign does not solve every problem our users have but it is a quick way to make the experience quite a bit better than what it current is while we finish the total rebuild of our application.

    Brett Gunter

    Written by

    UX Designer