Hey! Tomorrow is the first tournament of the season, just north of Montreal, and it’s one we’ve done before. Yes! This is officially our second year on the circuit, and we have a whole bunch of new goals and challenges ahead of us, first among which is the drive to continue improving ourselves and keep working towards being the best people/martial artists we can be.
Here are rules I gave my daughter last year, and they still stand today:
- Remember that I love you.
- Remember to fight clean, even if your opponents don’t. Titles and trophies are not nearly as important as your honour and character.
- Remember that sometimes judges and refs make mistakes because hey, we’re all human. Accept the ruling with good grace and move on.
- Always show respect for your opponents, their coaches, the judges and referees. If you win a fight, bow to the ref and your opponent and go shake hands with your opponent’s coach before you start celebrating.
- Fight to win, but don’t worry about winning. Worry about being a good person. That way when you win you’ll still be pleasant to be around.
- Now go kick ass. ;)
That’s it! I’ll let you know how it goes.