Authoritarianism: February 26 — March 4
- It’s scary how fast the rails came off the CBP.
PARIS - Henry Rousso is one of France's most preeminent scholars and public intellectuals. Last week, as the famous…www.washingtonpost.com
A flood of disturbing episodes at our airports and in immigrant neighborhoods have made it clear: Homeland Security…www.philly.com
2. That’s got to be a lovely work environment. Not to mention the leak leaking this leak crackdown.
Press Secretary Sean Spicer is cracking down on leaks coming out of the West Wing, with increased security measures…www.politico.com
3. So much banana republican here.
The top Democrat on the Senate committee investigating President Donald Trump’s ties to Russia says he has “grave concerns” about the independence of the probe following a report that the panel’s Republican chairman helped the White House knock down negative news stories.
The top Democrat on the Senate committee investigating President Donald Trump's ties to Russia says he has "grave…www.politico.com
4. What I genuinely don’t understand is why the Republicans want to kill the American people. No seriously, I don’t get it. I really, really do not get it. At all. They can’t all be soulless psychopaths no matter how much I rail that they are. They’re people, aren’t they? Why would they want to make others suffer?
Well, except we know Ryan IS a psychopath
Last week, the House majority released an outline for repealing the Affordable Care Act, or ACA. Although the document…www.americanprogress.org
And John Oliver to the rescue:
5. I have never seen so many nominees fall by the wayside. And it ain’t all because of us calling in. It’s because they flat out can’t meet the ethics requirements. To recap, Trump has lost his Labor, Army, Navy nominees; he fired his NSA amid emerging scandal; ten committee members have resigned; and six staffers were escorted out by FBI.
President Donald Trump’s nominee for Navy secretary, Philip Bilden, withdrew from consideration Sunday, becoming the second Pentagon pick unable to untangle his financial investments in the vetting process.
President Donald Trump's nominee for Navy secretary, investor Philip Bilden, is expected to withdraw from consideration…www.politico.com
6. Gerrymandering needs to be phased out. Problem is the courts don’t like to tackle it because how do you define a nonpartisan alternative. But this one is a good one:
There is a perfectly good scientific standard for determining whether there is partisan gerrymandering. This is the “partisan symmetry” measure developed by Andrew Gelman and Gary King. Essentially, symmetry requires that a specific share of the popular vote (say, 60 percent) would translate into the same number of congressional seats, regardless of which party won that share of the vote. For instance, if winning 60 percent of the popular vote in a state gives the Republican Party 65 percent of the congressional seats, then the Democratic Party should also win 65 percent of the seats if it wins 60 percent of the vote.
And it’s become a more acute problem. In the past, gerrymandering could blow up in your face. But with computers, it’s now applied with near surgical precision, as the Republicans did with the 2010 census.
In the past, gerrymandering was a problem, but it was a modest one. Computers have changed all that. Anyone can now produce a map gerrymandered beyond anyone’s imagination as recently as 30 years ago. That makes it a much bigger problem and a much bigger source of electoral unfairness. The Supreme Court will have a chance to revisit the issue later this year, and they should think very hard about how technology has affected the ancient art of gerrymandering.
Computers Have Revolutionized Gerrymandering. The Supreme Court Should Take Notice.www.motherjones.com
7. I want to know who whispers in his ears.
By using the phrase and placing himself in such infamous company, at least in his choice of vocabulary to attack his critics, Mr. Trump has demonstrated, Ms. Khrushcheva [the great-granddaughter of Nikita Khrushchev] said, that the language of “autocracy, of state nationalism is always the same regardless of the country, and no nation is exempt.” She added that, in all likelihood, Mr. Trump had not read Lenin, Stalin or Mao Zedong, but the “formulas of insult, humiliation, domination, branding, enemy-forming and name calling are always the same.”
In Mr. Trump's case, however, he is branding as enemies a segment of the American population - specifically…www.nytimes.com
8. The Republicans are going to have to face political realities here. Unless they are prepared to go the whole enchilada in less than two years and sacrifice all gains in 2018, it doesn’t seem to me possible. OTOH, the GOP political calculus has been opaque to me for a while now.
The new survey finds that when those who disapprove of the law are asked about what should happen to it now, more want GOP congressional leaders to focus their efforts on modifying the law than on getting rid of it. One-in-four adults want Republican leaders to modify the law, while 17% want them to get rid of it entirely.
With congressional Republicans discussing proposals to replace the Affordable Care Act, public support for the 2010…www.pewresearch.org
8. GOP traitors. Remember their names. These are the current majority members of the House Judiciary Committee.
CHAIRMAN BOB GOODLATTE
REP. JIM SENSENBRENNER
REP. LAMAR SMITH
REP. STEVE CHABOT
REP. DARRELL ISSA
REP. STEVE KING
REP. TRENT FRANKS
REP. LOUIE GOHMERT
REP. JIM JORDAN
REP. TED POE
REP. JASON CHAFFET
REP. TOM MARINO
REP. TREY GOWDY
REP. RAÚL LABRADOR
REP. BLAKE FARENTHOLD
REP. DOUG COLLINS
REP. RON DESANTIS
REP. KEN BUCK
REP. JOHN RATCLIFFE
REP. MARTHA ROBY
REP. MATT GAETZ
REP. MIKE JOHNSON
REP. ANDY BIGGS
The “resolution of inquiry” was introduced by Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) earlier this month, and calls on the Justice Department to hand over to the House all information relevant to an investigation into Trump’s and his associates’ ties to Russia, conflicts of interest and ethical violations.
The resolution could be brought to a full vote by the House if the [Republican controlled House Judiciary] committee doesn’t act on it, one Judiciary Committee aide told Politico. The aide said that the committee will address it in the coming week.
A roll call vote on Nadler’s resolution would likely be embarrassing for GOP lawmakers, many of whom are under pressure from constituents and politicians on the left to take tougher positions on Trump’s conflicts of interest and potential relationship with Moscow.
A Democrat-backed House resolution that would direct the Justice Department to release information about President…thehill.com
9. I have been hearing off and on about the Mercer family for about six months. Scary folks.
Nearly four years after Andrew Breitbart died, the Mercer family's involvement with Breitbart.com has finally been…republicandirtytricks.com
Just over a week ago, Donald Trump gathered members of the world's press before him and told them they were liars. "The…t.co
10. The ACLU blue ribbon present throughout the Oscars. *blink*
Frazer Harrison/Getty Images This year's biggest Oscars accessory is a bit different than award show's past. Sometimes…www.eonline.com
11. This is not who we are. I really hate 45 and what he’s done and what the CBP and ICE “officers” (to use the word loosely) are doing. This is a shameful period in our history.
The number of day labourers waiting for work outside a Hyattsville, Maryland, shopping centre has dwindled to a couple…www.nzherald.co.nz
12. This scenario wouldn’t surprise me and I’ve already considered it. But it doesn’t fix the shitshow with the prime turd-nugget at the helm that we are in now.
“But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain;
The best-laid schemes o’ mice an’ men
13. When 45 makes Dubya look good. Honest to god, I’d take this motherfucker back in a new york second.
Former President George W. Bush insisted Monday that "we all need answers" about possible connections Russian officials…thehill.com
14. No wonder the WH hates the press.
Top White House officials have been so alarmed by the Russia scandal that they reached out to the FBI - during the FBI…www.msnbc.com
15. But this one is just plain weird.
The White House press secretary refused to answer questions about where he was born.www.vox.com
16. This bugs me more the more I learn about it.
Passengers on a domestic flight deplaning in New York were asked to present ID by Customs and Border Protection agents…www.theatlantic.com
17. “Russia? What’s that?”
18. Why don’t we get a crew of actual 12 year olds to run the White House? They would do a better job of it.
Why deny, when you can plant fake news? Every presidential administration fears leaks, but few are as dedicated to…www.alternet.org
Usage of "alternative facts" and "fake news" Immigration raids and roundups False claims about voter fraud Gorsuch…www.nytimes.com
21. Sessions is a morally bankrupt racist unamerican asshole.
The reversal, on the eve of a key hearing in the case, is a clear sign of the DOJ’s direction under Attorney General Jeff Sessions — a longtime advocate of voter ID laws and other voting restrictions. The department signaled its intentions last week when it joined with the state of Texas to ask the court to hold off on judging the constitutionality of the law until Republican lawmakers can modify it. The court rejected this request.
For the last six years, the Justice Department has sided with the citizens and civil rights groups fighting Texas…talkingpointsmemo.com
Donald Trump may hate his new job and be surprised to find he's not a dictator, but he is delivering on one campaign…nymag.com
23. The difference a few months makes. He’s almost unrecognizable here, unstressed and confident.
White House press secretary Sean Spicer barred reporters from several large media outlets from participating in a…www.washingtonpost.com
24. They really are dropping like flies. I’m not sure what will happen from here…?
25. And of course the GOP said, “LOL, no.” But examine the list of names and remember.
House Democratic lawmaker attempted Monday to force a House floor vote on a resolution to request President Trump’s tax returns, but the effort failed on a party line vote, 229–185, with two Republicans voting “present.”
The move was the latest in a series of Democratic efforts to push Congress to request Trump’s tax returns, and Democrats demanded a roll call vote to force Republicans to go on the record.
The two Republicans who voted present were Reps. Walter Jones (N.C.) and Mark Sanford (S.C.). Sanford is one of the Republican lawmakers who has in the past called for Trump to release his returns.
After the vote, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) fired at the GOP.
“Tonight, House Republicans made themselves accomplices to hiding President Trump’s tax returns from the American people,” she said.
A House Democratic lawmaker attempted Monday to force a House floor vote on a resolution to request President Trump's…thehill.com
26. Science is not supposed to be like this. But welcome to the year of 45.
Most scientists are uncomfortable talking politics because their work needs to be perceived as objective rather than partisan. But ever since America elected a president who’s made scientifically inaccurate statements on everything from vaccinesto climate change, more and more scientists are stepping into the spotlight to stand up for their profession. That includes Holt, who announced Wednesday that AAAS would partner with the March for Science, an Earth Day rally with the primary goal of preserving and promoting evidence-based policymaking.
We've reached this point where scientists are being thrown into the political spotlight, which I imagine is deeply…newrepublic.com
27. That didn’t take the fuckwad long. Let’s lean on him a little.
Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) backtracked his call for a special prosecutor to look into Russian involvement in the 2016…www.cbsnews.com
28. Oh for fucks sake. What a waste of oxygen.
Trump was asked in an interview on Fox News' "Fox and Friends" if he believed Obama was responsible for the town hall…www.cnn.com
29. Not even pro forma comments. Ugly.
Nearly a week has passed since two India-born engineers were singled out and shot at an Olathe bar, apparently because…www.kansascity.com
Though some people may think the job involves more shushing than rallying, many librarians consider "making America…broadly.vice.com
31. LOL! There are far more NSFW photos here, but I love this one:
A float at the Düsseldorf parade. Photo: DPA The floats at Karneval parades across southern and western Germany are…www.thelocal.de
32. This is digusting. What a petty, scheming, cheap little grifter.
33. Well that’s fucked up. I have no idea what’s in store for us tonight after shit-gibbon addresses congress.
34. This, I think, sums things up pretty well.
35. Of course he does, the odious little toad.
In a briefing with reporters yesterday, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said he's still deciding whether or not to…www.washingtonpost.com
36. Ugh. Sad little man, destroying the country in a dementia-induced fog.
President Donald Trump is poised to go down as both the most voracious tweeter and most passionate cable news consumer…money.cnn.com
37. Doesn’t care about quality of water.
The Trump administration is moving to roll back an environmental rule intended to define which smaller bodies of water…www.npr.org
38. Maybe cheeto-head will listen to 100 generals?
More than 120 retired generals are making what may seem like a surprising defense of government spending on diplomacy…www.cbsnews.com
39. This is flat out impossible and a huge, huge, HUGE security issue for this country.
President Donald Trump wants the State Department and the U.S. Agency for International Development to cut their…www.politico.com
40. More from the leaky bucket that is 45’s shitstain show.
On Friday, Politico released a leaked version of draft budget reconciliation legislation circulating among House staff…thefederalist.com
41. Oh no, he didn’t. Dear gods, I should have seen this one coming.
President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump will invite three relatives of victims of deadly crimes committed…abcnews.go.com
42. The absolute fuck?
Over the last month, the Trump administration has waged a war on the rights of immigrants and foreigners - including by…www.aclu.org
43. No real surprise.
44. This is worth the watch
45. This is all that’s needed to process the address to congress from shit-gibbon:
46. No surprise. It’s oddly appropriate that ACA might be saved through one of the corrupt conflict-of-interest things this misbegotten WH has.
Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump's son-in law and senior adviser, is squeamish about repealing Obamacare, The…www.huffingtonpost.com
47. It's fitting that we become a banana republic what with all these banana republicans floating around like turds in a toilet bowl.
The State Department staffer told me that where she once used to get two hundred emails a day, it’s down to two dozen now. “Not since I began at the department a decade ago has it been so quiet,” she said. “Colleagues tell me it’s the same for them.”
A lot of this, the employee said, is because there is now a “much smaller decision circle.” And many State staffers are surprised to find themselves on the outside. “They really want to blow this place up,” said the mid-level State Department officer. “I don’t think this administration thinks the State Department needs to exist. They think Jared [Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law] can do everything. It’s reminiscent of the developing countries where I’ve served. The family rules everything, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs knows nothing.”
Anxiety and listless days as a foreign-policy bureaucracy confronts the possibility of radical change The flags in the…www.theatlantic.com
48. Oh man it’s getting hard to keep up. But seriously, what the fuck kind of governing is this?
Yesterday, House Speaker Paul Ryan boasted that his party would follow a deliberate, transparent process to repeal and…nymag.com
49. No, nothing abnormal about this at all…
Shadow Warrior The White House is considering delegating more authority to the Pentagon to greenlight anti-terrorist…www.thedailybeast.com
50. When I leave my computer for a few hours o.O
Holy fucking crap…
President Trump's Russia problems just got a whole lot worse. Attorney General Jeff Sessions spoke with Russian…www.washingtonpost.com
Of course there’s always this media witter
51. Political history, y’all.
WASHINGTON ― An increasing number of key Republicans in Congress are questioning whether Attorney General Jeff Sessions…www.huffingtonpost.com
52. Meanwhile this asshole has EVEN MORE Russia connections and just got confirmed 72–27.
The U.S. Senate voted 72-27 on Monday evening to confirm billionaire Wilbur Ross as Trump's commerce secretary. The…money.cnn.com
53. Trundling along. Well if they were trying to distract us away from Russia, that certainly didn’t happen. I love how this comes out right after shit-gibbon’s address to gutless congress.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions's spokeswoman released a statement late Wednesday night after The Washington Post…www.washingtonpost.com
54. Sure. Because all that pesky ethics will make it harder for them to drain the country’s coffers.
President Trump’s transition team called off a plan for an ethics, leadership and management course for his senior White House staff and appointees, including Cabinet members, according to a new report.
According to documents obtained by Politico, the Trump team opted not to have staffers go through the program, which would have covered confirmation hearings, complying with existing laws and orders, dealing with scrutiny from the media and collaborating with lawmakers and agencies.
President Trump's transition team called off a plan for an ethics, leadership and management course for his senior…thehill.com
55. Gorka really doesn’t understand the U.S., does he?
VOICE is tasked with serving victims of crimes committed by undocumented immigrants and will issue quarterly reports on…www.cnn.com
56. Thump, thump, thump… dominoes falling…slowly but inevitably…
Attorney General Jeff Sessions is recusing himself from any existing or future probes related to any campaigns for…abcnews.go.com
57. Well looky here…Kushner too. The Russian ambassador actually went to Trump Tower to meet them.
The New Yorker reported this week that Mr. Kushner had met with Mr. Kislyak at Trump Tower in December. Hope Hicks, a…www.nytimes.com
I’m thinking it’s going to be easier to track who has NOT been in contact with Russia.
♪ ♫ If you have no excuse, you must recuse
If you kissed Russia’s behind, you must resign
58. And here’s the (expensive) effect of that federal hiring freeze. Of course.
President Donald Trump's repeated pledge to create more American jobs, it appears, didn't include positions within the…www.commondreams.org
59. Fucks sake. Liddle snowflakes, I swear.
60. Just grows and grows.
As most of the world knows by now, Attorney General Jeff Sessions did not tell the truth when he was asked during his…www.propublica.org
61. This just gets weirder and weirder. Keep in mind, though, that Rand Paul is concerned that GOPers will be trying to pass an ACA-Lite instead of doing the Manly Thing and Fucking Getting Rid Of It, but even so:
Republicans have put their secret plan to destroy the Affordable Care Act under lock and key, and they would not even…shareblue.com
62. The universe is trolling us now, amirite?
INDIANAPOLIS - Vice President Mike Pence routinely used a private email account to conduct public business as governor…www.usatoday.com
President Donald Trump's eldest son was likely paid at least $50,000 for an appearance late last year before a French…www.wsj.com
64. Yes, please… o.O
65. JD Gordon, Carter Page… Gordon admits to pushing for Ukraine after meeting. The timeline indicates that it was shortly after this that the Republican platform made the sole change that the Trump campaign asked for which was that bizarre bit about Ukraine. A huge fucking flag, so many thought it was so weird at the time (but at the time no one thought that the loofah-faced shit-gibbon had the remotest chance, so…)
Kushner and Flynn sat down in December at Trump Tower with Sergey Kislyak, according to a senior administration…www.cnn.com
66. Liars liars liars pants on fires
President Trump, and his presidential campaign, have issued at least 20 denials of campaign officials' communications…www.usatoday.com
67. I have no words. NONE of these people should be ANYWHERE NEAR the fucking WH. NONE OF THEM. There is no expertise here at all, not 45, not Prez Bannon, and not Tillerson nor Ivanka. These people are just gibbons dancing around a table, but THEIR after-dinner idle argument yanks the U.S. around by a prong collar.
Stephen K. Bannon, Mr. Trump’s senior adviser, is pressing the president to officially pull the United States from the landmark accord, according to energy and government officials with knowledge of the debate. But, they say, he is clashing with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and the president’s daughter Ivanka Trump, who fear the move could have broad and damaging diplomatic ramifications.
While the president cannot, as Mr. Trump suggested, unilaterally undo a 194-nation accord that has already been legally…www.nytimes.com
68. The number keeps jumping in this article. It was 102, now 135 at the time of adding it here. (24 hrs later Fri night, it’s 146.)
A growing number of lawmakers say Jeff Sessions must resign over revelations he made false statements under oath.thinkprogress.org
69. While ignoring actual cases of domestic terrorism, sheesh.
In the view of the Department of Homeland Security's intelligence wing, anger over the election of Donald Trump…theintercept.com
71. I’m afraid I’m part of that ToldjaSo chorus.
Wilson said that he and other black college heads were excited when they heard Trump’s usual hyperbole promising to “do more for HBCUs than any other president has done before.” After all, President Barack Obama set aside $3 billion for African-American colleges and made them a priority within the Department of Education, so Trump — Wilson reasoned — would at least give them $500 million more for this year alone, right? Maybe he’d even boost Pell Grants and create an innovation fund! At least he’d do something Republican, like offer tax breaks to companies that donate to HBCUs! Those are reasonable expectations, right?
I’m a little gobsmacked at how hopeful the guy was. 45 has made his shittiness and racism crystal clear from the get go, and used black people as props throughout his campaign.
There is an old African proverb that has been passed down from the ancestors through generations of black people that…www.theroot.com
72. <raises eyebrows>. These people are utter scum.
The young policy adviser became the public face of Trump's controversial travel ban-and is paying the price for it.www.theatlantic.com
73. And now they’re turning on each other. JD Gordan says Trump specifically wanted the Ukraine policy added to the R platform.
The Trump campaign's national-security policy representative for the Republican National Convention, J.D. Gordon, told…www.businessinsider.com
74. Just fuck this entire shit show. There’s not a shred of good business sense or even common sense with this shit that streams steadily out of the Executive branch. Poison the animals, poison the water, and for what, precisely? Money? Good luck chewing on that for your next meal.
So much for sober-minded consultation, careful study of the data, and thoughtful analysis from U.S. Fish and Wildlife…blog.humanesociety.org
"Why should we be deported? This is very, very hard for a family."www.vice.com
76. Heartless, on a number of levels.
WASHINGTON Women and children crossing together illegally into the United States could be separated by U.S. authorities…www.reuters.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE MARCH 1, 2017 [TRIANGLE, VA] United Mine Workers of America (UMWA) International President Cecil…umwa.org
77. If yall shitheads would stop electing this dick-weasel back into office…
78. Kaboom. Looks like the fly-haired dumpster fire found his android.
79. Unfortunately, nepotism-boy doesn’t have a formal role, so he probably can’t be directly sacked but he has NO PLACE anywhere near the government.
The Trump administration has a problem telling the truth about Russia. First it was National Security Adviser Michael…www.slate.com
80. I’m guessing they’re pissy about the language regarding Russia. (Not complimentary, to be sure.)
The US state department released its annual report on human rights around the world on Friday, but the release was…www.theguardian.com
81. Peeling off slowly…one by one…
Two House Republicans endorsed a Democratic effort on Friday calling on the House and Senate committees with oversight…thehill.com
82. Dear lords, wut??
Up in New York at the United Nations, new Ambassador Nikki Haley, the former governor of South Carolina, had asked a bunch of the career officials to stay on, and they had started giving her briefings on how to talk tough to the Russians about their takeover of Ukrainian territory and other matters, I was told. Then the minders from the Trump “beachhead team” at Foggy Bottom found out about it; no way, they said, overruling Haley: They’re out.
Late on the evening of February 13, President Donald Trump's national security adviser, Michael Flynn, was forced to…www.politico.com
Speaker Paul Ryan Paul Ryan Crowd calls Ryan a 'coward' Tying ObamaCare repeal to Planned Parenthood worries some in…thehill.com
84. Bored now.
85. My twitter this morning. Where’s the antacid? Firstly this
Much presidenting from the unpresidented president. Then followed, literally followed by accusation of “illegal wiretapping.” Much whiplash.
Imma just let my twitter feed speak for itself. I can’t even. I’m going to go paint my living room.
(worth reading, visible in above link:
and now off to my living room. Seriously. Paint. Now.