You do know Godwin’s Law was rescinded January 20th, 2017?
- Pay attention.
North Carolina Supreme Court Strikes Down GOP Attempt to Control Elections Board
On Friday, the North Carolina Supreme Court struck down a Republican-sponsored measure stripping Democratic Gov. Roy…
2. AUNTIE MAXINE!
Maxine Waters Will Give A State Of The Union Response & It's Going To Be FIRE
Tuesday evening is going to be a full one if you're a person who follows American politics. First, you'll have…
3. Yes, the intent is to burn it all down.
Official Who Allowed Tree Cutting By NFL Owner Is Named National Parks Director
The new acting director of the National Park Service is a former parks official who was reprimanded 12 years ago for…
4. Must read. Трамп actually can’t fire Mueller. But if he goes after Rosenstein, he can find a replacement willing to throttle Mueller’s work down to nothing.
Why it's Far Worse for Trump to Fire Rosenstein than to Fire Mueller
All eyes are on what Donald Trump will do, as the oracles on Twitter and the Hill have predicted that the president may…
Kushner companies are fighting to hide their investors. A judge just forced them out in the open.
On Friday, a federal judge rejected a request to hide details of rental properties affiliated with Jared Kushner's real…
6. You can just hear these companies laughing and laughing from the board rooms after that tax cut was pushed through.
Walmart Just Announced More Layoffs, Despite the Billions it Will Get in Tax Cuts
By Sahid Fawaz Walmart made headlines earlier this month when it announced bonuses up to $1,000 while laying off…
7. And another one. Is it me, or are they dropping like flies?
House GOP chairman in competitive district announces retirement
Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen Rodney Procter Frelinghuysen GOP angst over midterms grows House Democrats add seven…
8. And this.
Republican Candidate Goes Full Nazi: Jews "Pretend" to be White to Undermine the White Race
Before Trump "won" the 2016 election, it was obvious that even if he lost, the Republican Party had irrevocably shifted…
Trump, who has no inclination or ability to govern, has handed the machinery of government over to the bankers, corporate executives, right-wing think tanks, intelligence chiefs and generals. They are eradicating the few regulations and laws that inhibited a naked kleptocracy. They are dynamiting the institutions, including the State Department, that served interests other than corporate profit and are stacking the courts with right-wing, corporate-controlled ideologues. Trump provides the daily entertainment; the elites handle the business of looting, exploiting and destroying.
The Useful Idiocy of Donald Trump
The problem with Donald Trump is not that he is imbecilic and inept-it is that he has surrendered total power to the…
10. Worth reading to understand part of the fake news churn in social media. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve tried to chase down further information on some event or issue only to see the same thing copied over and over again across many different sites.
Information Wars: A Window into the Alternative Media Ecosystem
Conspiracy Theories, Muddled Thinking, and Political Disinformation
11. Pay attention.
Andrew McCabe steps down as deputy FBI director amid pressure
FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe is retiring from the FBI, CBS News' Pat Milton has confirmed. According to Milton, a…
12. It’s still going to be lipstick on a particularly odious pig. And please. It’s the State of the Uniom address, bitch.
Can Trump stick to a script beyond the State of the Union?
WASHINGTON (AP) - No natural orator, President Donald Trump has nonetheless shown at times that he can deliver a…
13. This is very scary. Remember how Трамп pretty much gave carte blanche to the military? This seems to have had the (intentional?) side effect of a news blackout since the military is operating more or less independently. Duckworth is more charitable than I:
In an interview with me, she said the U.S. military seems to be operating with the attitude that a conflict “‘will probably happen, and we better be ready to go.’”
The Illinois Democrat believes this is primarily a response to the rhetoric coming out of Washington, where members of the Trump administration have repeatedly threatened to use force if diplomacy fails to prevent North Korea from acquiring the capability to strike the United States with nuclear missiles. And even though the administration continues to emphasize its preference for a diplomatic solution, “I feel like the military hears the war-mongering tendencies coming out of the executive branch and many in the legislative branch and have seen the writing on the wall and they said, ‘Holy cow. We’re more likely to be called on now than we were two years ago,’” Duckworth said.
'The Military Has Seen the Writing on the Wall'
"I know that the military's job is to be fully ready for any contingency, and I commend them and support them for…
14. Of course he is. He was hired to wreck the whole thing, after all.
New emails reveal Scott Pruitt was personally involved in erasing climate data from EPA website
Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt was personally involved in the purging of information from…
Leaked documents reveal the Trump administration's plan to sell off our public lands
This story was originally published by The HuffPost and is reproduced here as part of the Climate Desk collaboration…
15. Everyone’s in a tizzy this Monday night.
Warner: New documents 'opened a lot of new questions' in Senate's Russia probe
Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.) said new documents have raised more questions in the Senate Intelligence Committee's…
Трамп is calling for intelligence agency heads:
Trump zeroes in on Justice Department brass in Russia probe
First came news of the resignation of Andrew McCabe, the deputy director of the FBI, after weeks of attacks by Trump…
Andrew McCabe Steps Down as F.B.I. Deputy Director Under Pressure
Mr. McCabe's departure, which was first reported by NBC News, followed taunts from Mr. Trump on Twitter in recent…
And basically the entire GOP confesses that they’re under kompromat, pushing something thru that the Kremlin is calling for.
House Republicans Vote to Release Secret Memo on Russia Probe
WASHINGTON - Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee, apparently disregarding Justice Department warnings that…
What’s happening and what’s at stake:
House Republicans Vote to Release Secret Memo on Russia Probe
WASHINGTON - Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee, apparently disregarding Justice Department warnings that…
Some folks very very unhappy:
'Pitiful representation of American democracy': Ex-CIA leader rages against Republicans' FBI-DOJ…
After a ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee said Republicans have opened an investigation into the…
Meanwhile, Трамп continues to fellate Putin.
White House says there's no need for new Russia sanctions
The Trump administration, under fire from lawmakers for not punishing Moscow over election meddling, said Monday it…
16. Some very specific issues here although I think with the sheer onslaught of new candidates in races across the country, the overall odds of the party shifting because of new blood are very good. However, that doesn’t mean the DCCC isn’t stumbling badly in places, because it is.
Candidates Who Signed Up to Battle Donald Trump Must Get Past the Democratic Party First
of the 2016 election, a group of despairing Democrats in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, formed a new political group to…
17. The shitstorm continues…
The Memo: DOJ turmoil clouds Trump's big speech
Republicans are hoping that a raft of new controversies concerning , the FBI and the Russia probe do not distract from…
I don’t believe for a nanosecond that Трамп ever intended to “drain the swamp.” I never for one second ever thought “the elite” were in any danger, as described in the rather ludicrous opening paragraphs here. Still, the description of how the president is handled by his staff and where he “escapes” to confer with the likes of Hannity is…ugh.
How the Swamp Drained Trump
A year after arriving in Washington promising to hand power back to the people, the president has instead given the…
18. I don’t get this either. This is a direct assault on Congress.
19. So let’s see. Трамп is ignoring Congress. Congress is… declaring war on the FBI? The fuck is this shit?
Paul Ryan calls to 'cleanse' the FBI, backs surveillance memo release
House Speaker Paul Ryan called Tuesday to "cleanse" the FBI as he openly backed the release of a controversial memo…
20. Given the constant parade of shit candidates with no qualifications whatosever, this line really leaps out at me.
A person familiar with the nomination process said a flag was raised during Cha’s background check that led officials to determine he could not serve in the ambassador’s post. But this person, who was not authorized to speak on the record, did not offer specifics.
Yeah, right. But this is too bad, because Cha sounded like a pretty reasonable candidate for South Korea.
Disagreement on North Korea policy derails White House choice for ambassador to South Korea
The White House's original choice for U.S. ambassador to South Korea is no longer expected to be nominated after he…
21. A very interesting twitter thread/opinion on the doings at FBI:
Also this. Note, I am SUPER cautious about Mensch — she’s very controversial, and has been in a number of dubious situations — but there’s a pretty good summary at this thread:
Eg, some background
David Bowdich Named Assistant Director in Charge of FBI Los Angeles
Director James B. Comey has named David Bowdich the assistant director in charge of the Los Angeles Field Office. Since…
22. Survey of the right-wing wasteland at the moment:
Far-right pundits are now calling for a police state
In December, Fox News pundit and Trump ally Jeanine Pirro called on the president to implement a massive purge of…
23. List keeps increasing. I did mention Gowdy last week but in context:
Although it’s looking like ol’ Gowdy will be happy to continue the rightwing reshaping of the judiciary:
Gowdy on Wednesday did not elaborate about his future plans outside of the reference to the “justice system.” He’s a former assistant U.S. attorney who served as a county solicitor in his home state of South Carolina before running for Congress in 2010.
Gowdy’s name has regularly been tossed around as a potential pick by the Trump administration to fill a judicial appointment. While he’s denied that speculation in the past, a vacancy on the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals, which has jurisdiction over South Carolina, opened up just one day before Gowdy announced his retirement.
Trey Gowdy announces retirement from Congress
Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), chair of the House Oversight Committee, announced Wednesday that he will not run for…
24. Food for thought, and it creeps me out too. If you’re not familiar with the story of the desaparecidos in Argentina, I recommend you remedy that.
Historian creeped out by Trump's 'fascist' story about cop adopting addict's baby - here's why
President Donald Trump praised a New Mexico police officer in his State of the Union address for adopting a heroin…
25. Post mortem on SOTU is exactly as speculated in pre mortem.
26. Truly wtf material here. This is as fine a throwing under the bus as I’ve seen, though.
27. I’ve moved on from DEAR GOD THEY ALL HAVE ETHICS CONFLICTS to “Oh hey, at least some still eventually resign over ethics conflicts…”
CDC director resigns over conflicts of interest
Click here if you are having a problem viewing the video on a mobile device The director of the Centers for Disease…
28. Clearly not counting intel (eg FBI, CIA, NSA) but definitely counting ICE, CBP…
29. Nunes, Nunes…
30. I can’t agree with this more strongly. If Congress kept slapping down T’s fascist tendencies, it would be one thing. But they are instead capitulating abjectly, even eagerly, tossing aside their part of the checks and balances in U.S. gov’t… In fact, it looks to me like it’s the intel community that’s stepping up which is… really weird, not part of gov’t structure, and I have no idea of the long term consequences of that…and I’m forced to support that as having SOME way of resisting this turn of events!
As I was saying:
31. Whoa. (https://twitter.com/i/moments/958916355587108866). Good. Fucking kneecap her. Ignore all the batshit bullshit white-girl pretty-girl tears over her. She’s a big girl, pulls on her big girl panties, and can fully face the consequences of anything she’s done.
32. And yet, they are on retreats (derailed train jokes notwithstanding…)
Congress has 2 weeks to fund the government. They have 3 working days.
Congress only has three working days between today and the next shutdown deadline on February 8 - when Senate Democrats…
33. Lotsa stuff happening.
34. Interesting take. The fundamental problem is, what happens when both President AND Congress are not doing their job?
Opinion | No, Congress should not protect Robert Mueller
Greg Weiner is an associate professor of political science at Assumption College. Following reports that President…
35. Thieves. They are all thieves.
Labor Dept. Ditches Data Showing Bosses Could Skim Waiters' Tips
Labor Department leadership scrubbed an unfavorable internal analysis from a new tip pooling proposal, shielding the…
36. Oh for fucks sake.
The G.O.P. Tax Cut Is Draining the Treasury Faster Than Expected
One of the many things confirmed by the great tax-bill melodrama of 2017 is that Republicans only pretend to care about…
37. This is complete crap. It’s illegal, unconstitutional, and every D running in 2018, 2020 should call for abolishing ICE.
Trump ICE pick: Politicians who run sanctuary cities should be charged with crimes
President Trump Donald John Trump Schiff: Nunes gave Trump 'secretly altered' version of memo Davis: 'Deep state'…
38. This is actually fascinating. The judge is equating voting with speech, so it falls under the first amendment.
“In Florida, elected, partisan officials have extraordinary authority to grant or withhold the right to vote from hundreds of thousands of people without any constraints, guidelines, or standards,” Walker wrote in his opinion. “The question now is whether such a system passes constitutional muster. It does not.” Walker’s ruling, which came without holding a trial, found that Florida’s process violates the First Amendment as well as the 14th, which extends equal protection of the law to all residents.
A judge just delivered a huge win for voting rights in Florida
A federal judge in Florida has struck down Florida's system for determining which ex-felons have the right to vote…
39. How true.
Republicans are united behind Trump politically. But age-old ideological and tactical differences between the House and Senate — and the president’s silence or lack of guidance on how to bridge them — remain a major problem for accomplishing big-ticket items. It’s impossible for the GOP to pass immigration, spending and debt ceiling bills on a partisan basis given internal divides and the party’s razor-thin majority in the Senate.
Retiring Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.) likened the party’s efforts to avoid discussing difficult issues to “a dysfunctional family. Dad’s drunk again but we don’t talk about it.”
“DACA, debt ceiling, budget, agreement, omnibus? There aren’t 218 votes on those. Are we united on issues? No. We never are. It’s not going to change now,” Dent said.
Trump's talk of GOP 'unity' a myth
WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W.Va. - President Donald Trump said Thursday that Speaker Paul Ryan called him the other day and…
40. Pay attention. How much more corruption and thievery is going on in the current administration that’s barely being noticed because of all the churn at the top?
I present to you Ben Carson “Mr I will clean out all corruption in HUD” HUD Secretary, who ignored ethics advisors and channeled business to his son by leveraging his post, then oversaw a huge no-bid contract go from CMS to another relative. And this is barely in the news anywhere.
Ben Carson was cautioned son's involvement at HUD created appearance of a conflict, report says
Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson allowed his son to help organize an event in Baltimore last year…
This is the memo that was altered by Nunes after the Senate committee wrote it up, so it does NOT match what was originally on there, as testified by a number of other lawmakers, including Rep Lieu above.
The Latest: Trump says 'a lot of people should be ashamed'
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Latest on President Donald Trump and the FBI (all times local): 12:02 p.m. President Donald Trump…
The Nunes Memo was released, over the objections of the FBI, DOJ, Intelligence Community (IC), and even Senate Republicans, and it flopped. Bigly. Even better, the last line of the memo indicated that the investigation into Carter Page’s Russian connections was initiated not because of Secret Democratic Villain Chris Steele’s famous dossier, but because Trump’s own campaign “coffee boy,” George Papadopoulos, had bragged in an Aussie bar about how the Russians had the DNC emails months before they were released. Thus, the Nunes ploy of trying to blame the entire Trump-Russia investigation on the FBI’s and Rod Rosenstein’s political motivations just went down in flames. Seriously, it’s like neither Trump or Nunes actually read the memo they were touting.
Meanwhile, the FBI and the IC are now royally pissed off with the Trump administration and will give their full and undivided support the Mueller investigation. Director Wray sent out notice to all FBI employees that they must keep their focus on their vital work fighting the enemies of America both “Domestic and International”. (https://plus.google.com/+JessePowell_ad_astra/posts/edjUi3wFzaC)
Nunes: More Memos Are Coming
Friday's FISA memo may not be the last. House Intelligence Committee chairman Devin Nunes says that the panel plans on…
I’ll get the popcorn.
42. 2018, I can’t even.
Just check out who Michael Steele is…
Those are going to leave marks.
And the #YoMemoJokes was spawned….
#yomemojokes hashtag on Twitter
1h ago @JoyAnnReid tweeted: "Nunes' hyped up memo was so lame, #YoMem.." - read what others are saying and join the…
43. I have no doubts.
44. Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose…
The Watergate Story (washingtonpost.com)
“Listen, are you going to be loyal to me or to that (expletive deleted) Constitution?”
45. … you must click through and watch this short clip on twitter…
46. … sure, why not? What could go wrong?
Corn syrup lobbyist is working with Trump administration to set USDA dietary guidelines
For a year now, lobbyists have swarmed the White House under President Donald Trump, attaining positions within various…
The Koch Brothers Are Plotting a Right-Wing Takeover of America's Judicial System
The billionaire magnates have their eyes on the Supreme Court, and that's not all. Between Donald Trump's historic…
48. My worries, as well.
Opinion | Trump's Corruption of the American Republic
Today the idea of America, empty if stripped of ethical foundation, is under assault from a man who envies the pliant…
49. I feel so much better.