Authoritarianism: Jan 8–14 Changes
Experts in authoritarianism advise to keep a list of things subtly changing around you, so you’ll remember.
- POETUS raging about how little on-air time his spox got.
''No one can listen to that much bullsh*t': Internet rips Trump's gripe that NBC cut Conway's airtimewww.rawstory.com
2. Murdoch worming his way inside.
Rupert Murdoch moved swiftly and unexpectedly to fill the void opened up by Megyn Kelly's departure for NBC. Thursday…nymag.com
3. More sickening realizations as to the consequences possible on Twitter. In other words, online IS REAL LIFE NOW. In case you had any doubts. Was Hannity’s account hacked?
4. Realizing Nixon was small potatoes.
5. POETUS upset at negative attention.
The media doesn't treat President-elect Donald Trump Donald Trump Spicer: Media doesn't treat Trump with respect…thehill.com
Which is not even true, as the media is basically busy normalizing Trump and his authoritarian kleptocracy.
6. Government-sanctioned purging of civil servants being set up.
And so, the purge takes shape. This week's move by the GOP Congress to revive an 1876 rule that allows them to cut any…www.huffingtonpost.com
[T]his kind of purge of civil servants is often one of the first moves of an authoritarian, and, ironically and frighteningly, getting legislation to do so was also one of Hitler’s first moves, upon taking power.
The Law for the Restoration of the Professional Civil Service was passed just two months after Hitler became Chancellor of Germany. It was such a major piece of his plan to ultimately become dictator, that the Holocaust Museum notes it on their timeline of events.
7. Consistently nominating people opposed to the very thing they are running now. Eg. DeVos for Education, and now this:
In a statement Thursday, United States Sen. John Hoeven (R-ND) said he is "honored" to serve as the new chairman of the…mic.com
8. Blatant nepotism in giving Ivanka Trump’s husband a senior advisor position in WH.
The move comes ahead of a Wednesday news conference in which Trump is expected to detail how he plans to manage his…www.cnn.com
9. Leaving no one at the helm while transitioning. First the wholesale recall of all ambassadors, whether or not a replacement was ready by the 20th, but also of the folks in charge of the nuclear arsenal:
Between the Trump transition team's infighting, incompetence, and high-profile resignations, any decisions that…gizmodo.com
10. It took Bush six years to reach this level of unpopularity that Trump has achieved before Jan 20 2017
U.S. Voters Approve Of Obama, Disapprove Of Trump, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; Trump Should Stop…poll.qu.edu
11. An AG confirmation hearing where senators ask about “grabbing of genitals as described by the President-elect”. And candidate is on record (previously) as saying he didn’t think it’s “sexual assault” but now says sure, yeah.
St. Louis Two days after the videotape of Donald Trump's now-infamous 2005 lewd conversation was released, the Trump…www.weeklystandard.com
12. Compromising Russian intel on Trump includes “golden showers” with prostitutes and the big question pretty much has to be
And I actually typed this comment in all seriousness:
I only care about the pervy sex insofar as he damn well better not hire prostitutes to piss on any of the WH’s beds.
…and I can’t believe I ever had to seriously type that.
Allegedly including 'golden showers' with sex workers.www.thedailybeast.com
A dossier making explosive - but unverified - allegations that the Russian government has been "cultivating, supporting…www.buzzfeed.com
And twitter just drowns itself in the jokes. Tinkle, tinkle, little czar. Putin put you where you are. (George Takei)
13. Watching the ex-president of Mexico slam Trump on social media
14. Finding out that Trump and Tillerson (Secretary of State nominee) haven’t even discussed policy yet. Nor John Kelly (DHS pick) on immigration with Trump. o.O
Trump hasn't talked about immigration with his pick to run Homeland Security - or talked Russia with his would-be…www.vox.com
15. Dan Rather weighs in on how crazy it is.
The gossip website TMZ caught veteran news reporter Dan Rather exiting 30 Rock and asked him for his thoughts on the…www.rawstory.com
16. Trump insists he’s exempt from conflict of interest, will run business as usual as prez.
During a combative press conference Wednesday - during which the president-elect blasted BuzzFeed as a "failing pile of…www.rollingstone.com
14. Threats to independent government agencies for raising questions and objections.
Following Donald Trump's flaming circus tent/press conference at which he announced his boys would be keeping his chair…www.dailykos.com
15. Illegal activities by Mike Flynn (who is to be Trump’s selected National Security Advisor) and general WTFery from FBI Director Comey
This morning, members of Congress had a confidential briefing about suspected Russian hacking. We don't know what…theslot.jezebel.com
16. Sitting Senator says Trump is “not legitimate President”
In an exclusive interview for "Meet the Press," Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) said he believes Donald Trump's election is…www.nbcnews.com
17. Seeing comments like this from mainstream reporters.
18. Elected officials boycotting the Inauguration.
In a sharp break with tradition, a growing number of Democrats are announcing they will boycott President-elect Donald…thehill.com
19. Petty, vindicative, racist bickering:
20. Countries start asking Putin to direct Trump to help them.
Abbas also sent letters to other world powers, including Russia, China and the European Union, calling on them to “spare no effort” to prevent the US from making the move, Wafa said.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has written to US President-elect Donald Trump telling him not to move the US…www.aljazeera.com
21. Forcing out people literally “at stroke of midnight.” First it was all the diplomatic posts — whether or not replacement appointments have been made & in most case they haven’t — then it was the announcer guy who just got a curt email punting him. Now this guy is supposed to leave in the middle of the inauguration when Trump becomes the illegitimate successor to President Obama.
The Army general who heads the D.C. National Guard and has an integral part in overseeing the inauguration said Friday…www.washingtonpost.com
22. Realizing I will never voluntarily call him a president. The politest thing I will call him is Trump.