LGBTQ people are welcome in the Satanic Temple. As a member, I absolutely do claim religious privilege for my sincere and deeply-held beliefs, specifically:
- One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.
- The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
- One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
- The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own.
- Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
- People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused.
- Every tenet is a guilding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.
I see The Satanic Temple as an entity that stands in opposition to religious injustice, such as that being perpetrated by the likes of the Heritage Foundation. The Temple may be outmanned and outspent, but I believe it operates from a position of superior morality and will ultimately be victorious in these fights.