How to Create a DIY Chocolate Spa
So we all know we love chocolate. We love the way it smells, the way it tastes, the way it feels on our tongues and envelopes our minds in bliss. Our significant others are almost jealous of our relationship with the cute little cocoa bean in all its delicious incarnations. And now we can have one more thing for them to be jealous about. Let’s create our own chocolate spa stay-cation and indulge our entire bodies in it!
We’ve always wished we could bathe in it, and we gave you the recipe for an indulgent chocolate bath. Now we have found ways to can use it on our faces, our skin, our hair, any part of our bodies we want to pamper with sensuous chocolate.
The benefits do go beyond our own hedonistic desire to have everything chocolate invading our senses as much as humanly possible. Just the smell of chocolate can improve our mood, making us switch gears from Everything is Horrendous to Everything is Magical Unicorns and Double Rainbows faster than we can say Wonka Scrumdiddlyumptious Bar. And because it contains everything from antioxidants to potassium to even a good amount of fiber, we can be proud of our addiction, instead of hiding in our darkened pantry and gobbling it up like an excommunicated CandyLand character.
Whether you want to host a chocolate spa party or keep these decadent goodies all to yourself for your personal stay-cation, we have ideas for you to satisfy whatever your chocolate needs may be. Half the fun is deciding what you want to try out first. And all of the challenges will be not eating it before you luxuriate in it!
To set the stage for your ultimate chocolate-lovers stay-cation, you can do a few things before you begin. Light some chocolate-scented candles, use chocolate oil in a reed diffuser or oil warmer, slice up some strawberries or bananas to snack on to balance out the rich aromas swirling around you. And if you are looking for some real relaxation, try out the Chocolate Martini Recipe we included at the end for you. Most importantly, enjoy your new relationship with chocolate. And don’t forget to invite your significant other to join you, if for no other reason than to ease any suspicions about you and your second love. (Although if you have any unexplained texts from your beloved cocoa bean, you’re on your own!)
*Note that while making your homemade chocolate mask, make sure you use good quality chocolate with a cocoa percentage of 70% or more.
- 1-ounce chocolate (remember this should have at least a 70% cocoa content)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (you can use sweet almond oil, linseed oil or grapeseed oil instead)
- 1 egg yolk
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate, stirring after it’s finished to help cool it a bit.
- Add oil and egg yolk and mix well.
- After ensuring the temperature will be comfortable and not too warm, spread the mask all over your face and neck.
- Let it sit on your skin for 15 minutes (relax while you wait, eat some fruit, listen to music, etc.)
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat your face dry.
Chocolate Sugar Scrub Recipe
- ½ cup Raw Cane Sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa baking powder
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil or Almond Oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- a few drops of Vitamin E oil (optional)
- If you want to spice it up you can add some orange, peppermint or cinnamon essential oils for a fun twist.
- Mix the sugars and cocoa in a bowl.
- Slowly add the oil until you have your desired consistency.
- Add the vanilla and Vitamin E if desired and stir all together until combined.
- Use immediately on hands and/or feet, or store in an airtight jar or container. Should last for up to 3 months.
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Mix all ingredients together into a paste.
- Apply the mixture to clean, damp hair. Spread thoroughly into hair, working from the roots down to the tips. Leave in for 15–30 minutes. (Wrap hair in plastic shower cap while you wait to avoid any mess.)
- Rinse thoroughly and voilà! Your mane just got healthier.
And since we promised you a little adult treat while you’re spoiling your senses, try out this yummy chocolate martini recipe. You can dress it up with garnishes like orange peel or chocolate drizzle, or just sip it au natural. Cheers!
- 1 ½ fluid ounces chocolate liqueur
- 1 ½ fluid ounces creme de cacao
- ½ fluid ounce vodka
- 2 ½ fluid ounces half-and-half
- 1 cup ice
- Combine all ingredients listed in a cocktail shaker.
- Cover and shake well until chilled
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Cheers!
Remember, the whole idea is to pamper yourself in your chocolate spa staycation. The only rule is that you relax, reflect and rejuvenate. Like any art, enjoying chocolate in its many forms sometimes takes practice to appreciate fully. Try adding your own twist to the recipes, getting creative with aromas to balance the chocolate, or exploring new ways to include chocolate into your beauty routine. Luckily this kind of practice is thoroughly pleasurable! So if you want to sneak a few tastes in while you’re creating your spa products, well, your secret is safe with us.
Originally published at Caldo Chocolate.