Here Are the Top 3 Ways to Start Making Money From Instagram
Instagram is becoming one of the most popular social media platforms on the market. It now generates over 700 million monthly active users.
With its ability to capture high quality images, video, Live capability, and its newly-established Snapchat- like features such as, stories, face filters, and geo filters, Instagram is slowly integrating what we love about every other social media platform.
Not only does it allow for an awesome user experience, but it also is a very strong platform for monetizing your products or services.
To take advantage of these efficient, user-friendly features, try some of these strategies out.
1) Develop your Instagram Brand
Like any business or form of monetization the first step is always developing your brand. No one is going to buy from you if they do not already know who you are.
You should focus on creating an image that clearly defines who you are and what you stand for. This can easily be shown through your content from post to post and explained in your page bio.
Start by imagining your audience avatar
An avatar is your ideal customer. In a perfect world, this is exactly who would buy what you are selling and who would engage with every piece of content that you create. Some things to focus on when creating an audience avatar include: age, gender, profession, location, interests, income, education, etc.
Everything you are trying to convey through your content and message should be catered around your avatar.
Leverage your brand to build a following
Followers are what matter most on Instagram and most other social platforms. Without them, you won’t be able to sell your products or services as easily.
- Hashtag, Hashtag, Hashtag
- Start by reviewing the most popular profiles in your niche and see what hashtags they are using. The more specific the better. If you are just starting out, try to keep the post engagement from the hashtag less than 1 million, but more than 100 thousand.
2. Tag people (INFLUENCERS) and engage with their content
- Let people know that you just posted that adorable picture of your dog by tagging profiles who also enjoy dogs (and ideally have a large following).
- If you have a favorite dog profile, comment on and like their posts frequently. Also, do not be afraid to message them and ask them if they want to create a share for share relationship. Getting people to post your pictures and tag you in them is one of the best ways to grow your following.
3. Post to your story
- You just posted an adorable picture of a dog? Odds are, the people that you wanted to see your post missed it within their saturated news feed. Repost your picture (or video) to your story so that they can see it even if they missed it the first time. Stories are also another way to share more than one picture (or video) with your audience.
4. Go Live
- I know that going Live is intimidating, but it is the most authentic way of engaging with your audience. You do not have the ability to go back and edit. It is the best way for your audience to get to know the real you and connect with you on a much stronger level.
2) Your content is the most important part of your monetization
If you do not create good, quality content, you will not have success monetizing your products or services. It has to be stuff that people enjoy, though. If you are trying to sell something every post, you are going to annoy your audience. Be authentic and engaging.
Everything should sync. Your name, profile picture, content, and your bio description should all relate to each other.
Your followers will stop engaging with you if you are not consistent with your posts, they will stop following you, and you will not have as much leverage when you are trying to sell something.
If at all possible, try to post 1–2 times a day, every day. If you really want to grow your following quickly, posting as much as 15 times a day (with intention) will set you apart from your competition. There is also a much higher chance that your posts will be seen in people’s news feeds. However, without good, eye-catching content, engagement, & hashtags, posting more frequently will just frustrate your audience.
Post high-quality picture and text content
We live in a world where images and videos are expected to load fast, be appealing, and relate to people.
Here are some tools to help you post quality picture and text content:
Videos produce the most engagement. Always try to use your own high-quality videos, and make sure that it relates to your profile image.
Here is a tool to use other people’s videos to put on your profile:
This will allow you to use other people’s videos without breaking copyright laws.
3) Create a lead-generation funnel and a lead magnet
So now you have all of this awesome content, you have grown your following, and you are ready to start selling.
What is a lead-generation funnel (also known as a landing page)?
This is a vital piece of your sales process where, in order for people to receive your offer, they must go to the funnel and give you their information first.
Here is an example of a lead generation funnel that I created for one of my clients. It is simple, but it converts.
Some tools to create a funnel that converts:
What is a lead magnet?
A lead magnet is something of high value that people want from you that they can’t get anywhere else. Some examples are a guide, ebook, template, discount code, checklist, etc.
It must be something that is time sensitive, comes with bonuses, discounted, or an offer so good that it is impossible to say no.
This creates a ‘magnet’ effect that will draw people into your funnel so that you can up-sell them with something that will make you money (i.e. “thank you for downloading my FREE ebook, if that interests you, then you will love my membership for $97/month that will go more in-depth on blah blah blah…). This is a MUST, but the psychology of why people buy is for another article.
Send your audience to the link in your bio
Instagram does not allow you to attach a link in the description of your posts or allow people to click-through your videos or images. However, soon they will allow you to attach a link to posts in your story (stay tuned for that).
For right now, the most effective way to drive traffic to your lead-generation funnel is through your profile’s bio. I’m sure you have seen “link in bio” more than you would care to admit, but it is necessary because there are so many restrictions that Instagram has in place for now. Use a link that is short and sweet. Bit.ly is a great tool for shortening your URLs.
To make money on Instagram, you need to be well-versed in its features. To start, establish a solid foundation for your brand. Picture your ideal audience, grow your following, and engage consistently.
Make sure your content is appropriate for your business, enticing for your audience, and effective for your brand. Finally, bring your audience in with a killer lead-generation funnel. If you are just starting to build up your Instagram presence, start with these strategies.
Founder, Epic Marketing Enterprise