Innovations in Nanotechnology — Why there’s a Big Future in the Small
Advances in nanotechnology will change the products that we use for work and leisure, with potential impact on our health and longevity. In a research study by RNCOS, the global nanotechnology market is expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of approximately 17.5 percent during 2016–2022 .
Nanotechnology is the engineering of matter at a dimension of less than 100 nanometers. It spans across many scientific disciplines. A nanometer equals one-billionth of a meter. The concept of creating materials to atomic specifications was first suggested in 1959 by American theoretical physicist Richard Feynman. The term “nano-technology” was coined by Tokyo University of Science Professor Norio Taniquichi in 1974.
Nanotechnology in Healthcare — Nanomedicine and Biomaterials
Advances in nanotechnology will accelerate Precision Medicine, a key trend in healthcare . British pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline aims to create electroceuticals, small devices implanted on nerves linked to specific organ functionality. The company’s venture arm has been funded $50 million to develop implantable devices to create bioelectronics .
Nanotechnology in High-Tech — Nanoelectronics
Developments in nanoelectronics will speed the commercialization of quantum computing . IBM has developed a computer chip that has transistors of only 7 nanometers in dimension .
Czech company HE3DA Ltd. uses patented nanotechnology to create batteries using lithium nano-materials. The company plans to enter the car battery market mid-2016 .
A team of Australian scientists have created atomically thin optical lenses of molybdenum disulphide that are only 6.3 nanometers, paving the way for flexible screen displays that can drastically change the future of consumer electronics .
Breakthroughs in nanotechnology will disrupt the future of healthcare, high-tech and consumer products. Nanotechnology will change the way we live, work and play within the next decade.
- “Global Nanotechnology Market Outlook 2022.” RNCOS, Dec 2015.
- Rosso, Cami. “How Innovations in Immunotherapy, Genomics and Big Data May Save Your Life One Day.” LinkedIn, 2016.
- GlaxoSmithKline, GSK launches $50 million venture capital fund to invest in pioneering bioelectronic medicines and technologies [Press Release]. 08 August 2013.
- Rosso, Cami. “What’s Next beyond Moore’s Law — Innovation that will Disrupt Silicon Valley the Next 50 Years.” LinkedIn, 2016.
- Fitzpatrick, Alex. “Here’s why IBM’s new computer chip matters.” Fortune, July 9, 2015.
- HE3DA, Retrieved http://www.he3da.cz/.
- Light: Science & Applications (2016) 5, e16046; doi:10.1038/lsa.2016.46, Published online 11 March 2016.