FALLing into Midterms with Acorn Squash…
As the weather starts getting a little cooler, I find myself craving squash, warmth, and of course anything pumpkin. To make midterms a little easier, I made turkey and quinoa stuffed acorn squash to carry me through the week! See the recipe below.
You will need:
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 T olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 2 cups kale (or any dark leafy green)
- 1 T shredded cheese (I chose spicy mozzarella)
- Cut the acorn squash in half, and brush each side with olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 degree F for 40 minutes to an hour, or until a fork can easily pierce the squash.
- While this is baking, brown the garlic and onion in a pan sprayed with cooking oil.
- Add the mushrooms and ground turkey and continue to brown.
- Pour in the cooked quinoa when the turkey is completely browned.
- Lastly, turn off the heat and stir in the kale.
- When removing the squash from the oven, add the filling to the middle of each half. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 400 degree F for another 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
*Depending on how big your acorn squash is, you may have leftover filling which is great by itself or even to top a salad!