Weaponization of Data
- If data can be weaponized, it’ll be weaponized.
- Every citizen will have its own data weaponized against them.
- Scope of target: wider means a more invasive data collections. With a focalized target, there’s no need for detailed data, just metadata is enough.
- The objective is control to extract profits by corps, or political control by state and non-state actors to manage dissent.
- This is not a left vs right issue. It’s a citizens vs elites issue.
- This is an asymmetrical relationship for control, any attempts to fight this trend by individual citizens is doomed to fail. Sousveillance is only effective as art/propaganda.
- Opaque algorithms and AI are being deployed to collect, process and weaponize data against citizens.
- Countermeasures like cryptography, obfuscation are only partially effective.
- The more effective the countermeasure, the less convenient for citizens.
- The only effective strategies are transparency and a legal and technical framework that takes a privacy-by-default approach.
- Our data should always be our property and our choice.
Originally published at Astillero.