The first project of the UXDI Course at GA was to create a rapid prototyping of a Mobile Application. This Prototype had to solve a problem that one of our colleagues encountered during their daily activities.
In order to create this App we’ve gone through several UX techniques such as: User Interviews, Concept Mapping, Storyboarding, User Flows, Sketching, Wireframes, testing, Wire flows, Prototyping with Marvel, and Content Presentation.
Context & Interview
The first step was to interview my user, Jon. We had a nice talk were I was able to find out more about him and his interests. My main focus was on figuring out a part of her life that an app would make life easier and happier.
Sports came up as a topic and I found out Jon likes to go on Ski trips. He goes once once a year to Les Carroz in France as his wife has a house there. Although he can only afford to go once a year, he bought his own equipment and leaves it permanently in Les Carroz. He finds it a bit of a hassle to travel and take skis on the plane. On the other hand, he considered renting equipment to be able to go on other Ski trips but it’s expensive. As a result, Jon doesn’t Ski as much as he would love to.
How could I help Jon afford to go Skiing more often? What if Jon could go Skiing at a low price? This was my turning point. My chance to improve Jon’s Ski experience. I knew from the conversation and the interview that if Jon had the option of renting Ski Equipment at a lower price that he would definitely afford to go Skiing on other Resorts.
“I like skiing but not the high prices for renting equipment”
SkiBound is an Online Marketplace that enables people like Jon to rent Ski Equipment from other skiers in the community for a processing fee. A solution that allows Jon to travel, discover and Ski with no limitations and for a reasonable price. The price includes an insurance in case something happens.
The Concept Map helped me write down the scope of my app, details and functionalities.
Storyboard & User Flow
Illustrating Jon’s problem on a storyboard assured me that I was focus to solve Jon’s problem and that my solution was suitable and appropriate.
My next step was to develop a user flow ir order to deliver the correct service for Jon. Once I realized I was on the right track with my user flow I could see clearly what the sketches and wireframes were going to look like.
After establishing the user flow, I was ready to start sketching. As I had a clear goal I was able to sketch and build wireframes easily. They had to include the right amount of information of what the screen would look like.
Example of my first sketches:
My first sketches included notes of functions that I was missing as a result of my testing with Jon. Testing was crucial from an early stage to stay focus on the user’s needs and comments.
As you can see below, the first decision point is wether if you’re a skier or snowboarder. Once you fill in this data you choose inside your category what type of equipment you’re looking for. Next screens include browser, result and detail of product.
Check out here the marvel prototype.
Testing it with Jon and other class colleagues was great as I got to see that my solution was usable, clear and intuitive.
I would like to include a multi-option browser in case the user would like to look for more than one element at a time (e.g: skis, boots and poles).
I want to go further detail on the location and delivery process. You can choose where to look for the material, in the city/surroundings where you live or close to the Ski Resort that you0re heading to. On the other hand, you can choose between a Pickup location or have it delivered to the given address.
Week 1, done. Project 1, done! It has been an exciting and accomplished week. Enjoyed working with Jon, with my class colleagues and learning all the way.
Never stop learning new things and let your creativity arise!