How to overcome the feeling of “Today just isn’t my day!”
Everyone has said it. Everyone has felt it.
TODAY JUST ISN’T MY DAY!
But, what does that mean?
Maybe you woke up thinking the following:
- Today I’m going to crush it
- Today something special is going to happen
- I feel amazing, so today will be amazing
But then all of the sudden something happens to throw you off your groove and you suddenly feel like those things are no longer possible.
Well guess what? These things are still possible! When one thing or 10 things seem to get in the way of your perfect day — there is still time to recover. The key is that it’s up to you.
“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.” -Charles R. Swindoll
HOW TO RECOVER
- First things first, take a deep breath. There is nothing more frustrating then life not going as planned. So when this happens the first thing to do is center yourself. Here is a great article on How to center yourself in 60 seconds. Using this technique is great for when you feel anxious, overwhelmed, or just need help with focus.
- Now, let’s take a page from one of my new favorite books “What’s your superpower?” written by the amazing Tomi Llama. She shares an exercise called 10–10–10 by Suzy Welch (and also gives readers a pack of FREE Worksheets to help you do the exercise). For days when you feel like things aren’t going your way, it’s important to figure out what’s important for you to prioritize. Use this exercise to determine what you should do in the next 10 minutes, 10 months, and 10 years. With this exercise, you will know what to spend the rest of the day doing. Look at it this way — even if the first 80% of your day didn’t go as planned, using this system means you can accomplish one thing in the right direction. That’s something to be proud of when you go to sleep at night.
- Motivation. This one is a biggie. For me, it seems like the easy part is figuring out what I should be doing and the hard part is doing it! So how do you motivate yourself to get off your butt and turn a lame day into something awesome? Here is a great article by Time Magazine on the 3 Steps to Motivation — In summary they say Get Positive, Get Rewarded, and Get Peer Pressure.
- The last step — and maybe the most important one! Relax. Today is just today and tomorrow is a new day. Too often we put a tremendous amount of pressure on ourselves to perform every day better than the last. Sometimes, it’s okay to have what my mom calls a “mental health day”. Don’t feel bad about it! The real priority is you. If you need time to yourself to relax and recuperate so that tomorrow will be better then go for it.
SOME MOTIVATIONAL QUOTES
Know Yourself: “I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have.” — Abraham Lincoln
Be True To Yourself: “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
Respect Yourself: “The most powerful relationship you will ever have is the relationship with yourself.” — Steve Maraboli
Value Yourself: “Scarcity of self value cannot be remedied by money, recognition, affection, attention or influence.” — Gary Zukav
Accept Yourself: “Believing in our hearts that who we are is enough is the key to a more satisfying and balanced life.” — Ellen Sue Stern
Love Yourself: “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love & affection.” — Buddha
Grow Yourself: “It is never too late to be what you might have been.” — George Eliot
ABOUT THE AUTHOR, CARO THE CREATIVE WITH A LLAMA
Hi, I’m Caroline or Caro the Creative. I am a creative at heart and pioneer of new ideas in the field of design thinking and new media. I run a company called Beaumonde. My favorite things in the world include my other half, Shep, my cat Biscuit and traveling for new adventures. Want to collaborate on an article? Get in touch.