The Way to Upgrade to Magento 2 You Should Know About
If there was an award for the biggest and most anticipated shopping cart update of 2015, it would definitely go to Magento 2. Its release has left indifferent no one, changing the market of e-Commerce solutions forever.
With the release of the second generation of the world’s most functionally robust e-Commerce platform, the new quality standards have been set. Even the shine of Magento 1.x got dimmed, leaving thousands and thousands of store owners wondering two things “How and when to upgrade to Magento 2?”
The question “When” has no definite answer. Having a code written from scratch, Magento 2 can be not compatible with some of the add-ons you were using on Magento 1. On the other hand, almost every popular Magento extension has already released an update on the time this article is being written. Judging by the community feedback, the stability of the platform does not cause complaints too. So, if everything works fine and — considering the functionality updates — even better than before, why not to upgrade to Magento 2 now?
The question “How” has a few alternative answers. First of all, there’s no way to perform an actual upgrade. Every “upgrade method” is a database migration from Magento 1.x to Magento 2.0 in practice.
There are 3 way to upgrade to Magento 2
1. Of course, Magento wouldn’t leave its customers to fend for themselves — there’s an official scripts that can help you to perform an upgrade. Though most certainly it’s a reliable way to migrate data to Magento 2, it:
- Requires high technical awareness
- Consists of 3 complex steps:
- Settings Migration of settings
- Data migration
- Migration of changes
Thus, not all Magento users have enough time and skills to do everything with the help of scripts.
2. Another way to handle an upgrade is to use a dedicated migration service. Cart2Cart, which is the most popular market’s option, allows to upgrade to Magento 2 automatically with no coding required. Basically, it can be used even by a person without a clue of how migration happens. However, unlike the first option, it will cost you some money.
3. The third path you could take to upgrade your Magento store is to delegate this task to a developer team. Being the easiest option among these three, it’s the most expensive too. In fact, that is not a separate “upgrade way” whatsoever, since the programmers will use either Magento scripts or an automated migration tool eventually. In any way, it will cost you a pretty penny to pay the bill for their service.
So, what’s the answer to the question “How”? Having 3 possible variants, the second one strikes a balance between the costs and ease of implementation. Let’s have a closer look at the procedure of an upgrade to Magento 2 using an automated tool.
To do so, we’ll pick Cart2Cart automated shopping cart migration service.
Why Cart2Cart in particular?
- No version limitations — you can perform a straightforward upgrade to Magento 2.0 from any other Magento version
- No downtime — your Magento 1.x will not be affected during the migration procedure, being able to serve your customers as usual
- Free Demo migration — ensure everything works fine by moving a part of your database to Magento 2.0 absolutely for free
- No coding skills required — since the data transfer is automated to its fullest degree, there’s no need to get into source code
Magento 1.x to 2 Upgrade Scenario using Cart2Cart
1. Register a new account or use your Google/Facebook account https://app.shopping-cart-migration.com/#register
2. Specify source and target shopping platforms. Choose Magento as your Source Cart and provide the URL to your Magento 1.x store. Now, choose Magento as your Target Cart as well, and paste the URL to your Magento 2.0 store. Afterwards, download and install the Connection Bridge.
3. Indicate entities for migration. Choose the entities you’re willing to move: products, product categories, manufacturers, taxes, customers, orders, coupons, CMS pages and other related entities. Also, you can choose here additional options, such as password migration, SEO URLs preservation, migration of 301 redirects, etc.
4. Proceed to the free Demo migration. This option allows to see the service in use by moving a limited number of entities to a Target Cart.
5. Run Full Migration. Check the entities once again and launch the full migration. A few hours later, you’ll receive an email notification when the upgrade is finished.
At this point, the migration should be finished. Learn more about how to upgrade to Magento 2 by visiting an official Cart2Cart website! Good luck!