5 Tips to Financially Prepare for a Disaster
- Establish an emergency fund that you can quickly access to facilitate quick departure travel.
- Ahead of looming natural disasters, collect important financial information like mortgage, banking, medical, and auto insurance, statements and contact information, as well as any other loan information, and place them in a safe, water-resistant bag.
- Carry cash for food, fuel, and personal needs in the event that electronic ATMs are unavailable.
- Familiarize yourself with FEMA, Red Cross, and Operation HOPE programs that can help you prepare for disaster and support recovery efforts.
- Create, communicate, and coordinate an emergency evacuation plan with family and loved ones using the aforementioned tools.