First steps in validation
After more than 30 interviews, 5 experiments, at least 5 trips “out of the building”, we finally took the first steps in our way to the validation. First, we imagined our product as a new technology for clothes companies, which we wanted to sell them.
The first experience: the problem, we try to solve is about online orders. Our riskiest assumption was that people have problems with ordering. More than 90% of the people agreed on this. The biggest problem was they couldn’t tell what size would fit them the best from the given brand and the given collection, even if they saw the size chart. When this happened, they just throw it to the wardrobe and never wear it again or they give it to another person.
The assumption that our users are women between age 14–28 was fairly correct according to interviews but it was also clear that not just women order online. We interviewed 30 people from different environment, gender, age and we found out that we could be more specific with the targeting, so we decided to pivot and choose another user segment: people who loves fashion. And about the paying customer… fin the beginning, we thought that our customers will be big clothes companies as Zara, Promod, etc.. but we had to pivot again. Our new customers are little shops, designers, tailors, who really need the data about the customers body and it is difficult to measure them without a meeting, or the customers should measure themselves, which is possibly cannot be so precise.
According to our experiments we had to pivot again. We rethought our idea and we came up with a new one: we do not want to sell our technology anymore, but we would like to start a new service. We are going to launch a platform for designers, tailors, little handmade clothes shops. We will use the 3D body scanning technology to measure our users (who are fashion addicts) and provide the data for tailors/designers/shops.
From the interviews, we found out that we needed to pivot few times. After 2 weeks, we validated the problem and also our new solution. We have to mention that our service is following a 2 sided business model, so we had to validate the problem/solution with both the users and customers. So we took many interviews to validate. Here is one on validation the problem.