I did a 30 day writing challenge in one day and it was really fun.
Everything in this was written in about 3 hours and some of the poems are terrible or just terribly stupid so I will spare you of them and just share the highlights.
- Write an acrostic poem using your name.
green skies above
always make me nervous
bring me a solution
right now my breath is scarce
i always make these nights about me
every time i think it’s over it’s not
leaving me is okay this time
2. Who was the last person you texted? Write a five line poem to that person.
you’re always patient
i always use more words than i want with you
i’m afraid that’ll scare you away
that or my emotions
3. Write a three line poem about lemons without using: lemon, yellow, round, fruit, citrus, tart, juicy, peel, and sour.
see how i make you feel
i hope you’re happy, most aren’t with me
4. Find a tree you really identify with. Write a poem using that tree as a metaphor for your life.
i don’t know if you’re still growing
maybe it all ends here for you
someone could cut you down
just be patient things will come
5. Write a cinquain about a topic of your choice.
daily repetition is maddening
eat sleep eat sleep
well, most days class
why am i always so fucking tired
eat sleep rinse repeat
every day, same routine
confined to a bed
confined to a room
that isn’t home
time is coming
i just have to take mine
eat sleep eat sleep
it’s almost over
6. Quickly jot down four verbs, nouns, and adjectives. Use all 12 words in a poem.
Verbs: walk, talk, excite, extirpate
Adjectives: gorgeous, tall, large, sleepily
Noun: sky, stars, door, mind
walk and talk like me
sleepily, use large words
try to open doors with your mind
fantasize about the stars in the sky
so gorgeous it excites you
extirpate as many negative thoughts as possible
(root out or destroy)
stand tall always
- a little guide on how to be me
7. Post a poem written by someone else that you love. I chose a poem written by my best friend.
Pure, unadultered bliss
The kind of feeling that grips your chest
and pulls the air out of your lungs
A love for nothing but the energy pulsing
in your fingertips and radiating in your cheeks
My brain that could never quite grasp the feeling.
A cosmic tornado that swallows bliss in a whirl
and spits it out in the form of
“thank you, I’m doing well. And you?”
Am I mine own best friend?
8. Respond to the poem with a poem of your own.
love is complicated
and understanding isn’t required
you’re young little one
take your sweet time
you’re doing amazing.
9. Write a poem without any end rhyme only internal rhyme.
immensely fucking tired
sitting tensely, clenched teeth
i’m tired of being angry
we’re wired to not say sorry
drinking to be drunk, thinking until i’m unhappy
why do you wait for me, shy and awkward
i really appreciate it
10. Choose one of the poems you’ve already posted and reorder the words in some way. I chose #6.
walk tall, use gorgeous words always
the doors to your stars excite you
talk, fantasize about the sky
extipate and guide possible thoughts
(stand always or destroy negative roots)
- how to be me
11. Write a seven line poem that begins with “it’s true that fresh air is good for the body” (from Frank O’Hara’s poem “Ave Maria”) and ends with “this is our body” (from Gary Snyder’s “The Bath”).
it’s true that fresh air is good for the body
but i stay trapped in my castle
who rescues the prince?
does anyone connect?
can you hear me?
i’m calling out to you
this is our body
12. Write a poem that’s different in some way from anything you’ve ever written. Take a chance! Be wild! I hate myself so I chose a 50 line blitz poem.
if you can breathe
if you can feel
feel your skin
mine is rough
mine ache’s for your touch
touch me if you can
touch you? i don’t want to scare you
you can handle it?
you can handle my emotion?
emotion fuels my every move
emotion is why i live and breathe
breathe me in
breathe us in
in your mind what am i?
in mine you’re a star
star girl you’re amazing
star girl you’re my favorite song
song that you wrote for me
song i sing to you every night
night time is the hardest for me
night time is lonely with no you
you dance around my thoughts hourly
you fly through my mind daily
daily i hope that this is the day
daily i cling to the hope of us
us, a crazy concept months ago
us, not so crazy anymore
anymore time for us?
anymore time to wait?
wait for me to perfect myself
wait for me to get better
better than him
better than anyone
anyone could have won
anyone could have beaten me
me, the dreamer
me, hopelessly romantic
romantic to a fault
romatic through it all
all the times i was hurt
all those times really hurt
hurt me permanently
hurt me deeply
thankful for days of you
thankful and willing to wait for you
you the amazing one
you my star
So yeah these were the highlights of my 30 poem challenge i hope you enjoyed.