New Year Resolutions
January 1, 2017
HAPPY NEW YEAR! I wish you all to have good health, happiness and success this year.
I wanted to update those who have made an impact in my life, no matter how large or small, on events that took place in the past few months and a few new year resolution goals I have for myself.
As some of you may know, I started working as the Program Associate for the Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional Studies (APAICS) in Washington, D.C. last August. In the quickest promotion ever in the history of APAICS (as one of my boss puts it), I became the new Program Director. In this capacity, I develop and implement APAICS programs such as the Summer Internship Program, Congressional Fellowship Program, Young Leaders Summit, Regional Leadership Academy, and National Leadership Academy. I am extremely grateful that APAICS chose to give me an opportunity to grow my networking, leadership, and programming abilities as a young professional working toward the mission of putting more AAPIs into political office.
During my time in D.C., I also tried to incorporate things I am passionate about into my life: travel, food, and hiking. I was fortunate enough to go hiking every two/three weeks in the nearby DMV area and try over 30 restaurants. So far, I have visited 23 states (including D.C.) and 23 countries (depending on how you count it — mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau are up for debate). During this winter break, I traveled to Fairbanks, Alaska with my family. This was our first family trip since 2003 so the time that we spent together was not only meaningful but very much needed. Below are some photos highlighting key moments of our trip together.
New Year Resolutions for 2017:
- Go to the gym at least once a week — gotta get fit for summer :)
- Only go out to eat once a week — need to save money for my travels!
- Come home and see my family more than twice a year
- Finish scrapbooking all the states and countries I have visited
- Grow the internship program by two interns
- Increase the fellowship program by one fellow
- Hire a Communications Consultant on full-time
- Hold four amazing Regional Leadership Academies
- Attend Mardi Gras in New Orleans, Louisiana
- Visit Niagara Falls and Toronto, Canada
- Go on a road trip to Disneyworld
- Visit the Four Corners Monument
- Visit one country that I have not traveled to yet
Please feel free to let me know how you have been and where life has taken you! Reply to my email update and/or we can arrange to meet up in D.C., the Bay Area, or even in another country!