My promise to help others in 2018, and myself, cause we could all do with a bit more positivity, balance and progress.
Firstly, if you have decided to read this — thanks! As 2018 is literally round the corner, I’m sure we’ll all be seeing notes from those we follow, know and love, explaining what it is they are going to accomplish, change or break next year. I am going to be one of them, but before I tell you about the things I will do for myself in 2018, let me share with you the things I promise to do, that can hopefully benefit you!
My theme for 2018 is positivity, balance, and progress.
In 2017, I started to get really cynical…I want to change that.
I’ve been preaching about not saying ‘busy’ because busy is bullshit. I’ve been talking more about prioritisation, the ability to say no, about not wasting time, and I am still eager to not put myself into situations that don’t make me happy. I’ve also spoken about valuing sleep and not burning out — a work in progress.
The projects listed below are my way of helping you, giving back to the community, celebrating others, but not doing so at a cost to my time, mind or body. They are my way of doing good and finding balance. They are my ‘happy’, and ways I can feel positive, but measured.
So, if you’re looking for a positive 2018 and a helping hand, read on.
This is what I can offer you this year. I hope you can get involved.
The Power Hour
If for whatever reason you think I can help you in your personal development, advice on your business, need some feedback, connections, or want to chat mental health, then this weekly hour is for you.
I get asked to coffee with a lot of people — and while I love to help, I wanted to make this far more measured, productive and open to a lot more.
So every Tuesday of next year, with a few exceptions, anyone now has the option of grabbing me for one hour.
Here are some simple rules:
- Book in the hour using this link and complete the form.
- Please complete the form. It gives me a chance to prepare, and will make sure we both know what you want to get out of the session. I might even be able to help without a coffee!
- Let me know where you want to meet, but your choices are limited to coffee in Old Street or Skype.
- The meetings take place at the same time each week. If this time doesn’t work for you, and you need help quicker, email me firstname.lastname@example.org. While I can’t promise to change the time, I may be able to help on email.
- Please do not ask me for free comms help. I am happy to act as mentor, but when this changes and becomes me working for free, the session will end.
#GeekGirlMeets Podcast — It’s coming back!
Almost two years ago now, I wrote a blog explaining why I was going to stop putting myself in situations that didn’t make me happy — something I needed to do in order to get myself into a better headspace following years of on and off depression and anxiety. One of the projects I gave myself that year was the #GeekGirlMeets podcast. Which I LOVED.
Unfortunately, when I launched my company, CEW Communications, last year, being a solo founder meant that the majority of my time had to be committed to the growth of the business. And so the Podcast went on pause…
2017 wasn’t exactly a fantastic year for women…there were some amazing highlights don’t get me wrong…but it was a bit of a downer…
In 2018, I promise to start highlighting exceptional female role models again using the podcast— because we could all do with more Wonder Women in our lives.
If you are, or you know, awesome women working in tech or business, GIVE HER TO ME.
For the first few months, interviews will be restricted to London, but this is only temporary. I have a growing list of women from all over that I am dying to meet and interview. If you want to help in a particular region, I’d love to discuss sponsorship opportunities with you!
Here’s the gist:
- One, introduce yourself, or an awesome lady, to me via Twitter, email, or any other channel you fancy. Contact details at end of this post.
- Two, fill this out and book a slot for an interview. https://calendly.com/cathy-white-10/geekgirlmeets-podcast-recording/12-29-2017
- Three, shoot me an email with a photo you are happy to have used in promotion of the podcast.
- Four, expect a follow up email with loads more detail on what to expect.
- Five, tell all your mates and send me more awesome ladies!
If I get to the end of 2018 and I’ve managed to interview and publish 50–100 recordings, I’ll throw a party. Deal?
Side note — if anyone is looking to practice their editing skills, I could do with some help every now and then to keep me on track!
The Note of Awesome
At the end of each month I will send out a quick email highlighting the awesome companies, people, initiatives, thoughts and articles, to have on your radar.
The aim? Maybe you read something that inspires you. Maybe you come across a company worth looking to cover in the news, or invest in. Maybe you find your next four panelists for an upcoming event.
This is an experiment, it may or may not work. But if you could do with some positivity, some fresh ideas or faces, or you want help get your name out there, get involved.
Sign up here: http://eepurl.com/dfO4e1
Want to share something? Email me here, with the subject: Note of Awesome — email@example.com
If you do a Power Hour or Podcast, you’ll be in the note!
What I am doing for me.
Finally, in addition to the feeling good and positive attitude I’ll no doubt get from all of the above, 2018 is the last year in my 20’s before I turn 30. So a lot of my resolutions for next year revolve around the success of my business AND the success of my body. Both of which are connected. Strong body, clearer mind, better attitude, energised boss, happy Cathy.
The short little summary you need to know is that I will:
- Have another vegan and no drinking stint at the start of the year. And I get up to 5 “cheat passes” so I’m not entirely boring at Weddings, birthdays and celebrations. Yes folks, it may be dull, and the longest stint yet, but it’s totally worth it.
- However, I go back to a more balanced diet and alcohol consuming regime, after the Hackney Half. Which is on May 20th.
- Which means my other goal is to be able to run the whole way without dying. No fixed time, just not dying.
- I’ll find another half marathon later in the year, which I want to do sub-2 hours. Running buddies — hit me up.
- Another goal, is to lose weight and get strong. I won’t share the full goal, but if you want to follow the action, it will be on Instagram. I’ll be documenting it. If you’re into that, fab — spur me on. If you’re not, you can support me by staying silent — thanks! I’ll never be super skinny but if I come out of this rocking an Ashley Graham curvy body, I’ll be SO happy.
- Read more. No fixed rules, just more.
- Write more. As above.
- Speak at & MC events more.
- Grow the empire that is CEW Communications — we’re going for double!
- Finally, the other goal, is to stop judging myself too hard. This is a lot to achieve in a year, and if I slip up, I need to learn to climb back on and keep going, not to give up.
Setting small tangible goals that help us get through to the big one, is the only way to tackle what we set for the year ahead.
If you read all this — thank you! I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Here’s to a positive and balanced 2018, filled with progress in lots of different areas of life.
Happy New Year! Go smash 2018!
Twitter & Instagram: cathywhite10