Image for post
Image for post

By Ceilidh Gray on ALTCOIN MAGAZINE

Last month, the British Retail Consortium (BRC) released a report showing that shoppers spent more on their credit cards than with cash last year. While the use of debit cards overtook cash a few years ago, this is the first time that credit has done so. Today cash makes up 20% of all transactions in the UK, with the remaining 80% being plastic — or more accurately, digital. And worryingly, the current rate means that cash could well and truly be dead in another 10 years.


Image for post
Image for post
Photo by Gus Moretta on Unsplash

Last month, the British Retail Consortium (BRC) released a report showing that shoppers spent more on their credit cards than with cash last year. While the use of debit cards overtook cash a few years ago, this is the first time that credit has done so. Today cash makes up 20% of all transactions in the UK, with the remaining 80% being plastic — or more accurately, digital. And worryingly, the current rate means that cash could well and truly be dead in another 10 years.

Some argue that removing cash will reduce crime and help us build better solutions…


Image for post
Image for post
Photo by h heyerlein on Unsplash

We’ve been living in a post-truth world for some time now. A world where the standard for ‘truth’ has disintegrated and the understanding of fact and fiction is wasting away under piles of opinions, alt-facts, fake-news and, quite frankly, a hell of a lot of bullshit. And one of the factors contributing to this rather dystopian world is deepfakes.

Deceptively authentic, deepfakes are the product of advances in the field of Deep Learning, a form of Artificial Intelligence. Deepfakes emerge from a specific type of deep learning in which pairs of algorithms are pitted against each other in “generative adversarial…


Image for post
Image for post
Photo by Matt Antonioli on Unsplash

Data breaches happen daily around the globe and third parties either have no legal duty, or worse, just don’t care about making sure your data is securely encrypted. Here at MaidSafe, our core values are privacy and security and as a result, these principles are central in how we design and build the SAFE Network. And self-encryption is no different.

First things first, what is self-encryption?

It is a version of convergent encryption with an additional obfuscation step….what?!

Let’s take a few steps back. If we remove the prefix ’self’ for the moment, you have encryption — a way of…


An Interview With Community DApp Developer / part 2

Missed part 1? Read here.

Image for post
Image for post
Photo by Ryan Stone on Unsplash

Great thank you for that overview. Who do you imagine using your app?

Everyone. Your grandma can keep her list of roses that she has in her garden, her will etc. Journalists can keep their investigations on state corruption on it. Companies can keep their data on it. You can have your receipts, unpublished memoirs and your code or inventions on it.. etc.

I think we’re ready to get stuck into this now. …


An Interview With Community DApp Developer Edward / part 1

Image for post
Image for post
Photo by Leon Kobus on Unsplash

Edward, one the community members in the SAFE forum, announced the alpha release of SAFE.NetworkDrive on Windows a few weeks back.

So we took the opportunity to get to know him a little better, why he loves SAFE and to carry out a deeper dive into his project.

Enjoy!

Hi Edward, thanks for your time. Can you start off by telling us a little about yourself?

I’ve been developing systems for CMS, accounting, credit rating, finance and things like that for a few years. But I was always most interested…


An interview with Devolution creator Glen Simister

Image for post
Image for post
Photo by Joshua Rawson-Harris on Unsplash

One of our community members, Glen, showcased a video a few weeks back where he developed of a non-profit social media platform called Devolution. Here we talk to him about what motivated him, why he chose SAFE as well as glimpse into his future plans.

Thanks for agreeing to speak with me! First off, let’s introduce you properly. Can you tell us a little about yourself?

To cut a very long story short, I have lived a large part of my life out of a suitcase, moving from place to place, doing various…


Image for post
Image for post

Hi, I’m Ceilidh and joined this week as Marketing Strategist. Born and bred in the Borders, I now live in Edinburgh.

I’ve a squiggly career path. I studied Textile Design after school which led to a stint in London and New York working for designers for both high street and the catwalk. After a couple of years, I became disengaged with the industry so I took on a placement at Dulux as a Colour Consultant in where I developed colour ranges for store as well as have the honour of being part of the team that names the new colours…

Ceilidh Gray

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store