DevOps refers to the combinations of Development and Operational Skills. Basically, to overcome the long, time consuming process of traditional waterfall models, DevOps are preferred. Now-a-days many companies are interested to employ engineers who are skilled at DevOps. DevOps integrates development and operation i.e. it takes both software developers and IT sector. DevOps engineers must play nice as they have to collaborate, and handle an automated infrastructure, workflow and continuously measuring application performance.
Phases of DevOps:
DevOps engineering consists of three phases:
1. Automated testing
Lifecycle of DevOps:
DevOps mainly focuses on planning, coding, building and testing as the development part. Added is the operational part that includes releasing, deployment, operation, and monitoring. The development and operational part makeup the life cycle.
Team members of DevOps:
In business enterprises the DevOps engineers create and deliver a software. The main aim of this team, in an enterprise environment is to develop a quality product without the traditional time consumed.
DevOps employs an automated architecture which comes with a set of rules, a person who has worked as a front runner for the organization, will lead the team based on the company’s beliefs and values.
A Senior DevOps engineer is expected the following skills
Software Testing: The responsibility increases along with coding new requirement to test, deploy and monitor entire process as well.
Experience assurance: The person follows the customer idea to develop the end product.
Security Engineer: During development phase the security engineering tools to be used in the security requirements.
On time deployment: The engineer should ensure that the product is compatible and running at client’s end.
Performance Engineer: Ensures that the product functions properly.
Release Engineer: The role of release engineer to address the management and coordination of the product from development through production. Release ensures the coordination, integration, flow of development, testing, deployment to support continuous delivery and maintaining the end-end applications.
System Admin: Traditionally system admin focuses only on the server running. But DevOps handles the open source pros, passionate towards technology, hands on with development platforms and tools. They maintain the networks, servers and database and even support.
Usage of the DevOps tools
· Git tool is a version control system tool is used to develop the source code by developers and sent to the Git repository and we have to edit the code in repository.
· Jenkins is a powerful application tool that allows the code from the repository using the git plugin and build it using tools like Ant or Maven.
· Selenium is an open source automation tool. The Selenium tool performs regression and functional testing. Selenium is used for testing the code from Jenkins.
· Puppet is a configuration management and deploys testing environment.
· Once the code is tested, Jenkins send it for deployment on the production server.
· Then the completion of Jenkins it goes to monitored by tools Nagios.
· After the monitoring process Docker containers provides testing environment to test the build features.
Most popular DevOps tools
Git is a version control system tool
Jenkins, Selenium are Continuous Integration Testing tools that uses predefined frameworks.
Puppet, chef, Ansible are configuration management and deployment tools
Nagios is a Continuous monitoring tool
Docker is a container concept tool.
Basic technical Knowledge for DevOps recruiters:
· The DevOps recruiters should follow the basic methodologies such as agile, continuous delivery, continuous integration, micro services, test driven development, infrastructure as a code.
· They must know the basic scripting languages such as Bash, Python, Ruby, Perl, Php.
· The recruiters must know the infrastructure automation codes such as puppet, chef, Ansible, Salt, Terraform, Cloud formation, and Source code management such as Git, Mercurial, Subversion.
· The developers should study about cloud services such as AWS, Azure, Google cloud, open stack.
· Another skill is orchestration. In programming, to manage the interconnections and interactions among the private and public clouds.
· Next one is containers, a method of OS virtualization that allows you to run an application and its dependents in a resource-isolated processes. it includes LXD, Docker.
· The recruiters should be able to manage multiple projects, simultaneously.
· They must know the usage of tools for continuous integration and delivery. Such as Cruise control, Jenkins, Bamboo, Travis CI, GOCD, Team foundation server, Team city, Circle CI
· Testing tools such as Test Complete, Testing Whiz, Serverspec, Testinfra, In Spec, Customer Driven Contracts.
· Recruiters must know the monitoring tools such as Prometheus, Nagios, Icinga, Zabbix, Splunk, ELK Stack, collected, CloudWatch, Open Zipkin.
In this document, we discuss about the basics of DevOps. It includes the phases, the roles & finally, the lifecycle and usage of the tools and skills for recruiters.
We would love you to have you on our team. Join us here.