All good things must come to an end. Today, it's Hackropolis's turn.
For as long as I have remembered myself, I often act on impulse: one of those impulses, on the 23rd of November 2020, was to start a computer club, for teenagers, by teenagers. I teamed up with Panos, and submitted an application to Hack Club, an American education non-profit which was looking to foster clubs like us. Shortly after, we received our acceptance letter and met with Matthew Stanciu, Hack Club’s club director at the time. Since then, and for the past 9 months, I’ve been fortunate enough to foster an amazing little group of teenage Greek makers, where ideas were shared & things got made (sometimes), under the auspices of Hack Club.
Unfortunately, things did not go as planned: I initially wanted to meet every Saturday, not even for a full workshop but more like an accountability get-together: get around a virtual coffee table and discuss our computer whereabouts, what we made, what we learn and more. But, both scheduling issues as well as personal matters never allowed us to host any meetings since February.
I find it important to recognize and own up to my mistakes; and I’d like to apologize to both former & current members for the false promise of meetings. As I have been unable to fulfill my promise, it is with a heavy heart that I’m announcing that
Hackropolis is being sunset on 2021/10/30, 13:37:00 Europe/Athens timezone.
A few words on what that means. On that day:
• The Hackropolis Discord server, as well as all repositories on the Hackropolis GitHub organization will be made read-only. The airtable-plusplus repository will continue to exist under my personal GitHub account (cfanoulis)
• All @hackropolis.club email addresses will cease to work
• All participants that have attended that one meeting in February will be emailed a digital participation certificate.
• All participants, former applicants & Discord server members that reside in Greece may also request 1 sticker pack
• On November 7th, all member data will be deleted. If you wish to receive a copy of your record, please make sure to request one before that date.
To everyone that participated in any way: be it code, advice or even just chatting in the matrix or Discord: From the depths of my heart, Thank You. This has been a life-changing experience, which has taught me a lot of things, and I hope you were able to win something as well.
Ad Astra. Go create amazing stuff, friends.
Your sticker-shipping, forgetting-about-that-meeting leader,