Ammonium Paratungstate and Its Applications in Different Industries
Ammonium Paratungstate (APT) is a white crystalline salt of ammonium and tungsten. Its shape is flaky or can be needle-shaped. This crystalline salt finds application in different industries and has a growing demand across the World. Ammonium Paratungstate is usually used in two forms, Pentahydrate and Decahydrate.
· Pentahydrate- Chemical formula is 5(NH4)2O•12WO3•5H2O.
· Decahydrate- Chemical formula is 5(NH4)2O•12WO3•10H2O, with a molecular weight of 3222.73. It is produced by evaporating tungstic acid soluble in ammonium solution.
Ammonium Paratungstate (APT) is partly soluble in water.It has thermal decomposition property, which means, when it is heated to 220–280oC, it loses a part of ammonium and crystal water andtransforms into Ammonium Metatungstate.
Wide Applications of APT
In the powder metallurgy industry, Ammonium Paratungstate is an intermediate material. It is used in the following ways:
· Yellow or blue tungsten oxide is produced with it. After that, it can be used to produce tungsten metal powder and other tungsten products such as tungsten rod, wire, and other tungsten carbide products.
· It is used to prepare ammonium metatungstate by putting under thermal decomposition.
· It is also used as a laboratory reagent to produce tungsten carbide, tungsten metal, and tungstic acid.
· It is also used as a coloring agent in the ceramic industry.
· It finds widespread use as a water absorbent gel.
· APT is also widely used as a catalyst for chemical reactions.
Ganzhou CF Tungsten Materials CO. LTD. isa specialized manufacturer of tungsten powder, cemented carbide rods and various kinds of fabricated products. The company is committed to providing the best quality products to their customers and also sustaining the environment at the same time. To have more information about the variety of tungsten products that the company deals in, visit their official website https://www.cftungsten.com.