Like the show “The Office”, but not exactly. The show is definitely an exaggeration, but a quite funny one. Think of an office environment as organized chaos. You may wonder.. Can chaos even be organized? Oh yes, it can. Think of a beautiful thunderstorm while the sun is shining. It’s both beautiful, but yet at the same time the weather is out of control. Same thing, but in an office. An office can be chaotic, yet at the same time the work can be extremely satisfying — fulfilling even. Sunlight in the midst of a storm.
The office is a place of excitement, hard work, free food, and the best part — your own desk.. Or free food? Decisions. The best type of offices are the ones that are small and homey feeling. The ones that are filled with hard working people who act professionally, but at the same time are warm and welcoming. The type that has a great system in place and makes teamwork that much simpler. Did I mention — your OWN desk? Yes, that part sparks excitement indeed. There are some tips that may come in handy if anyone reading this will one day work in an office, or if you are already working in one (but you probably know most of these by now — I hope).
- Have invoices and deliveries ready on time — be careful not to mix up any invoices, or packages will go to the wrong place (yikes). Show up early if you have to.
- STAY CALM — because if you don’t then nothing will get done. No time for freezing up — just go ahead and wear a sweater. ;)
- Stay organized. No organization will result in a sticky-note filled desk with confusion all over your face. No joke. Organization is key. Bring a notebook and write everything down — in order. Helpful tip for anyone who needs organization in their life.
- Have a pencil, pen, and sharpie handy. You never know when you’re going to need to mark something important, take a quick note, or erase something. Keep a stapler handy too — paperwork will need to be stapled together at some point during your day.
- COFFEE — oh yes, the wonderful cup of pure bliss. The smell. The flavor. The comfort. Coffee is a morning necessity and an afternoon energy booster. Did I mention yet how good it tastes? Don’t worry, if you’re not a fan of coffee then green tea will be your friend.
- Make sure to have sticky notes. They are extremely handy — especially for quick notes and important messages. Stick them on your monitor, on worksheets, other people’s’ desks. Draw a smiley face and stick it on your cup. You can use these whenever, however. Stick away.
- Have more than one browser open at a time on your monitor. You can switch in-between browsers while doing paperwork and answering phone calls. Have every browser available at the click of a button. It will save time and make your life so much easier.
- Last but not least — ask QUESTIONS. If there is a problem or something you don’t understand, just ask somebody. It’s much easier to ask for help than to make a mistake, cause an issue, and having to end up fixing it later anyways. You can either learn the easy way or the hard way. Just sayin’.
- Do your best.
- Learn as much as you can.
- Be yourself.
- Enjoy all that an office job has to offer.