Cherubic Ventures March Newsletter / 心元資本三月動態
How was everyone’s March? We’ve got lots of exciting news from our portfolio companies to share with you this month. But before we jump into our updates, check out a couple articles from our partners: Matt Cheng’s perspectives on software bots, and Tina Cheng’s recent Silicon Dragon panel discussion on Taiwan’s startup ecosystem.
Last but not least, the launch of our new funds was recently covered by TechCrunch. You can read about it here.
最後，心元三月中時宣佈了兩支共 1.2 億美元基金，繼續致力於成為下一個偉大公司的最早投資者，也謝謝各位夥伴一路以來的支持！
Now, back to our normal portfolio updates and fund news. / 接下來是最近一個月心元基金和所投資的公司的新聞和動態
- Haozai (China): Haozai is a home decor/ furniture e-commerce platform. Users can browse a wide selection of home decor ideas from professional designers and buy the furnitures through the platform directly.
- Cover (USA): Send Cover a photo of the items you want to insure and get the best price for your insurance.
- Hello (USA): Hello is the creator of Sense, a smart sleep tracker that improves your sleeping quality by monitoring the surrounding environment.
- Siftery (USA): Siftery is a database where companies list their software stacks. Siftery compares companies with similar stacks and make recommendations.
- Althea (Korea): Althea is a beauty products e-commerce shop and targeting the Southeast Asian market.
- Cover（美國）：Cover 的用戶可以輕鬆透過拍照為自己的手機、車子等物品找到最適合的保險方案。
- Hello（美國）：Hello 推出的智慧睡眠追蹤器 Sense 能偵測週遭環境對使用者睡眠品質的影響，使用者只需要將裝置放於枕邊，就能輕鬆的透過行動應用程式獲得詳細的個人睡眠數據，提高睡眠品質。
- Siftery（美國）：Siftery 將各個公司內部使用的軟體 整理成清單，並依據類似產業推薦你適合的工作軟體。
- Althea（韓國）：在韓流的美妝熱潮中，跨境美妝電商 Althea 瞄準東南亞的消費市場，提供超過一千種的韓國品牌商品。
Portfolio Updates / 團隊公司最新發展
Waffles has acquired users from more than 150 schools around the world after 30 days since it was launched! Co-founder James said: “YouTube was born in 2005 since the Internet was open to the public in the 90s. Now, after 10 years of smartphone’s reign, we deserve a dedicated video sharing platform.”
The first smart bat was formally introduced to you by Zepp, in partnership with Old Hickory (a Top 5 supplier of bats to MLB players)!
Zepp 和 MLB 職棒名牌廠商 Old Hickory 合作，推出第一支智慧球棒，協助教練和球員揮好揮滿。
Wish’s CEO Peter Szulczewski shared insights on merchants in China, and he has seen more and more non-discretionary items on its cross-border platform.
- Consumer expectations in China are different, and thus educating Chinese merchants is important.
- Types of products and merchants are critical, because people spend less on smartphone.
- Partner up with local post service.
- Taobao sees repeat business at 50 purchases per user per year. Wish is at 5.
- 淘寶的客戶一年平均回頭消費次數為五十次，Wish 則為五次。
In support of the mission to create a digital art experience for every home, Electric Objects announces the Electric Objects Art Club Fund, committing $100,000 to commissioning the most forward-thinking collections of digital art on the planet.
Can you imagine a future without phone numbers?
The one-stop smart merchandise shop, PowerCore, completed 2M USD seed round funding. The team helps gaming and content company produce various merchandise and create smart toys to interact with the games. As one of PowerCore’s early investors, Matt Cheng shared his belief that “content is king” can be adapted to every industry, and PowerCore is helping game companies to expand and further monetize their content creatively.
Pinkoi announces overseas growth plan in 2016 and has joined force with Japanese design e-commerce iichi to further grow the Japanese market. And here is a very interesting story showing their user-friendly technology allowing designers upload items with knees (literally).
The smart video doorbell Ring announced a series C round of financing of $61.2 million USD, from prominent investors KPCB and Sir Richard Branson. Check out the article and see what makes it outstanding in the IoT space.
The children shoe brand PLAE has launched a collaborative project, Art of Plae, and artist Oliver Black is the first one in residence. They’ve filmed a very beautiful video which exactly shows what Design Thinking is.
“I remember what it was like as a kid sitting in the backseat, when your feet don’t even touch the ground. The only thing you have to stare at is your feet, so [I thought it would be fun to] have something to entertain them.”
CBC News tours Hyperloop Technologies’ lab, offering an inside look at what it takes to build the high speed transportation system.
新聞媒體 CBC 實地走訪 Hyperloop Technologies，一探高速鐵路的建造情形。
XING Mobility has built the first electric race car in Taiwan. The team is formed mostly by local talents and 90% of the parts are manufactured in Taiwan.
Prestigious Business Today Magazine covered the amazing journey of XING Mobility, which represents an incredible collaboration between traditional industry experts and tech startups.
今週刊專訪報導 XING Mobility 落腳台灣的故事，挖掘深厚技術的傳統產業和科技公司的協力創新。XING Mobility 打造首輛電動賽車，其中高達九成的零件來自台灣，成員也皆為在地工程人才。
“For those who still believe in fairy tales.”
Jessica’s Secret has formed strategic alliance with Thailand’s duty free shop King Power and provides services like price search engine and purchase in advance.
Andy OS is featured by Inc. Magazine as one of the Israeli startups making waves in the Bay Area!
The home decor/ furniture ecommerce platform, Haozai, raised tens of millions RMB in angel round led by Cherubic Ventures!
- Lack of designers in traditional channels.
- China’s furniture shopping market size is 4 trillion RMB.
- The challenge of burn rate of e-commerce business: Haozai will focus on “content” to increase users’ retention rate.
- 電商的燒錢挑戰：針對供需問題、家具的 低重複購買率，創辦人趙劍英決定讓「內容」先行，增強用戶黏著度。
Teenker’s founder shared his view on the structure transformation of Sharing Economy in China.
“Sharing economy in the U.S is for people to share spare items, while in China, a country with 1.5 billion people but few resources, it is more about job opportunities rather than sharing.”
共享平台廳客的創辦人 — — 林超分析共享經濟在中國與美國不同的社會結構。
The world needs a place to embrace disagreement, and we are excited to see more in-depth discussion on the platform!
Parlio 網站上聚集了意見領袖與獨立思考的讀者們，針對多元面向的議題共同討論。Parlio 鼓勵不同的意見、理性的溝通、互相聆聽彼此，並且大力宣揚：「改變意見是再正常不過的事」！