How to Become a Dancer — Beginner Dancing Tips
Click on this link for the first of a kind Chat Show with Terence Lewis, Bollywood choreographer and dancer talking of his life, struggles, lessons and also a detailed guideline on how to become a professional dancer. Terence talks on Chet Chat about How to become a dancer, the Terence Lewis Dance academy and offers life lessons for the youth.
Terence Lewis talks on Chet Chat about
1. His childhood struggles
2. Being in a family of eight children
3. Participating in all activities during his childhood
4. Being the head boy of St Theresa’s high school
5. He was an academically brilliant student. His first dance teacher, Ms. Pervez Shetty taught him the basics in Jazz and Ballet.
6. He struggled to continue dance training after his schooling due to lack of financial resources. But his philosophy — ‘ATM’- Absorb, Try and Master — motivated him.
7. Studying micro-biology and bio chemistry at St Xaviers College
8. Doing Hotel management at Institute of Hotel Management, IHM Dadar
9. His Terence Ki Toli has been a winner on ‘Dance India Dance’
10. He has been a judge on ‘Dance India Dance’ and on ‘So You Think You Can Dance’
12. How he gave tuition’s to earn his money for education
14. Terence Lewis Contemporary Dance Company’.
15. He is trained in jazz, ballet and contemporary dance at the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and the Martha Graham Center of Contemporary Dance in New York
16. He choreographed songs in movies like ‘Jhankaar Beats’, ‘Naach’, ‘Aisha’, ‘Isi Life Mein’ and ‘What’s Your Rashee’ and ‘Lagaan’
17. He the first ever Indian to receive the ‘Dance Web Europe’ scholarship, the felicitation of which was held at Vienna, Austria.
18. He choreographed a ballroom waltz, titled ‘Waltz for a Romance’ in the film ‘Lagaan’.
19. Song ‘Dil Ne Tumko’ from the Hindi movie ‘Jhankaar Beats’ was choreographed by him.
20. He choreographed music videos from films such as John Mathew’s ‘Shikhar’, ‘Nach’, and Adnan Sami’s ‘Kasam’ with Amisha Patel and Stereo Nation’s ‘Ishq’ with Koena Mitra and Shaan and Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela
21. He teaches Bollywood and Indian contemporary dance in ‘Impulstanz Festival’ at Vienna, Austria,
22. He has performed in the Indian version of ‘Fear Factor’ and in ‘Khatron ke Khiladi’ season 3
23. He has judged dance reality shows like ‘Nach Baliye 5’, ‘Hindustaan Ke Hunarbaaz’ on ‘Life Ok’ and ‘Nach Baliye Shriman v/s Shrimati’
24. He holds the Guinness world record for choreographing 1336 people together in a song, the highest number of people choreographed on a single stage.
25. He has worked as a fitness trainer for Bollywood actors like Madhuri Dixit, Amisha Patel, Antara Mali, Malaika Arora Reena Khan amongst others.
26. He started his dance career by giving dance tuitions to little children and choreographing small events in schools and colleges to help him bear his expenses.
27. Terence Lewis won the ‘American Choreography Award’ in 2001 for the movie ‘Lagaan’ along with Ganesh Hegde, Vaibhavi Merchant, Saroj Khan and Raju Khan.
28. He represented Asia in 2012 at the TANZ platform at the International Choreographers’ Meet held in Stuttgart, Germany.
29. He received the Best Choreographer Award at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival for ‘Finding Marina’ and ‘The Children of the Sea’ in 2006. These two musicals were choreographed with the survivors of the Tsunami disaster.