Introducing the Holacracy® Practitioner’s Guide
A Reference Guide for Real-World Holacracy Practice
NOTE: Bookmark this page in your browser for quick reference — new articles are added all the time.
Learning how to get things done in Holacracy takes time. It’s absolutely worth the investment, but it’s like learning a new language.
And since we learn languages to use them, the best approach is everyday immersion. You simply can’t understand the real-world of Holacracy practice just by reading the Holacracy Book or the Holacracy Constitution.
But experience alone won’t guarantee learning either. We need help. We need guidance and coaching to help us with everyday translation.
To that end, I’m introducing a series I’m calling the “Holacracy Practitioner’s Guide.” From years of helping clients adopt Holacracy (and working inside a Holacracy-powered company everyday), I’ve collected a huge library of amazing and practical coaching tips.
Now, I’d like to share them with you. Piece by piece. As I write them, until there is a comprehensive reference guide for all Holacracy practitioners to use day-to-day.
Topics will include the core Holacracy stuff (Secretary, Policies, etc.), but also auxiliary issues like “Deadlines,” “Holacracy Adoption/Implementation,” and “Compensation.”
The content is intended for current Holacracy practitioners, meaning I won’t provide broad introductions to these concepts, but rather short and punchy guidance which requires some familiarity.
Again, since this will be a reference guide, don’t expect essays. Instead, each topic will be presented as a list of bite-sized nuggets, each one distinct, but connected to a larger main theme (e.g. Election Process 101: Common Mistakes, Election Process 101: Process Walk-through, etc.).
As they are published, please share any feedback you have. Positive or negative. “Does this approach make sense? Did I miss something?” Please, let me know since this is an experimental way to create and distribute content like this.
Want to learn more about Holacracy? Visit Holacracy.org.
Table of Contents (New articles will be added here)
Understanding the Basics:
- Holacracy® Basics: The Intention to Adhere
- Two Helpful Unwritten Holacracy® Rules
- This Time it’s Personal: Why Holacracy® Differentiates Role and Soul
- Why Holacracy® Requires New Ways of Speaking
- Communication Types in Holacracy®
- Holacracy® Governance Meeting vs Conventional Group Problem-Solving
- [White Paper Summary] Holacracy®: Discover a Better Way of Working
Understanding Tactical Meetings:
- Holacracy® Basics: Understanding Tensions
- Holacracy® Basics: Understanding Checklists
- Process for Triaging a Tactical Item
- Holacracy® Tactical Meeting Phrase Book
- Holacracy® Basics: Understanding Projects and Project Teams
Understanding Governance & Governance Meetings:
- Holacracy® Basics: Metaphors for Understanding Governance
- Holacracy® Basics: Understanding Domains
- Holacracy® Basics: Understanding Policies
- Policies Governing People in Holacracy®: How NOT to Handle Things Working Hours, Dress Code, and Social Norms
- Holacracy® Basics: Understanding Objections
- Holacracy® Basics: Understanding Integration
- Holacracy® Basics: Integrating a Not Valid Governance Output (NVGO) Objection
- Getting Stuck and Unstuck in Integration
- Raising Valid Objections: Are You Anticipating?
Understanding the Power Shift:
- Lead Link 101: What the Lead Link Does NOT Do
- Lead Link 101: What You Can Request from the Lead Link
- Why Isn’t the Lead Link Elected?
- Holacracy® Basics: How to Make Sure Someone Does Something
- A “Manager Mimicry” App for Holacracy-Powered Companies
Holacracy Facilitator’s Guide:
- Facilitator Guide: Facilitating a Holacracy® Tactical Meeting
- Holacracy® Facilitation: A Better Way to Facilitate Holacracy® Governance Meetings
- Facilitator Basics: Understanding Objections
- Facilitator Guide: A Better Way to Test Objections
- Holacracy® Election Process 101: Common Mistakes & Tips
- Holacracy® Election Process 101: Election Process Walk-through
- Holacracy® Facilitator → Coach Learning Pathway
- 17 Holacracy® Coaching Principles
- Intervening as a Holacracy® Coach
- Preparing for the Holacracy® Tactical Facilitation Assessment
- Preparing for the Holacracy® Governance Facilitation Assessment
- A Holacracy® Bootstrap Guide
- A Holacracy® Whole Product
- Holacracy® Basics: What Do You Do When Someone Breaks a Rule?
- Conducting a Holacracy® Governance Audit