Integrating Things 3 with Microsoft Outlook on Mac
Very annoying that Cultured Code’s Things 3 does not integrate with Microsoft Outlook. But I’m about to help you change that, and best part is that it’s pretty easy (only 3 steps).
By the end of this post you’ll be able to save e-mails to your Things inbox with a simple shortcut keyboard command.
Step 1: Create an Automator service to link your Outlook messages to Things
In this step we’ll create a script which will let Microsoft Outlook talk to Things. For non-technical people this will be the most difficult step. Stick with it! I believe in you :)
- Open Automator on your Mac (it’s in Applications folder)
- Create a new ‘Service’ from the main menu
- On the top bar in the main editor ensure that Service receives is set to ‘no input’ and in is set to ‘any application’
- In the Actions search for ‘Run AppleScript’, double click to add to the editor and paste the code found here: https://gist.github.com/crsrusl/67eee8497dd296879fe1a832b3205f0a
- Save your new service as something memorable like “Things and Outlook integration”
Step 2: Create a keyboard shortcut to add Microsoft Outlook e-mails into Things
Well done if you’ve made it this far. The next step is even easier.
- Go to your System Preferences and select Keyboard
- Select Shortcuts from the tabs across the top and then select Services from the options on the left
- Scroll down to General in the main screen on the right, find your service (created in part 1) and select the checkbox to enable it
- Double click the shortcut which should say none at this stage and then press the keys you want to use as your shortcut command (I’ve used ⌘§, but you could use any key combination you like)
Step 3: Testing it works
In this section we’ll test it all works. If you’ve followed the steps above it should!
- Open Microsoft Outlook and select an e-mail
- Press your your shortcut key command (created in step 2)
- The Things quick menu should open and be pre-populated with the e-mail information
- Press enter to save the item to your Things inbox, or escape to close the item