Newly declassified documents shed light on the original cyber cold-case

Update: See the new details from Kaspersky

In September 1999 Newsweek broke the story that the United States was under a sustained cyber attack. They claimed that thousands of sensitive but unclassified documents relating to technologies with military applications had been stolen. Further reports at the time pointed the finger at the Russian government as a possible source of the attack, but details were limited.

Last Saturday Silas Cutler, a Senior Security Researcher at CrowdStrike and Project Director of MalShare, shared newly declassified documents that the FBI had on the case following a Freedom Of Information Act request. …

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store