Timbaland, aside from making a name for himself as a front-man, has been behind an all-star selection of singles:
2. Kanye West, the visionary producer behind a selection of massive hits that are full of both musical creativity and Kanye attitude:
3. Swizz Beatz, behind so many timeless hiphop classics of the 2000’s.
4. Sir George Martin hasfar too many credits to include but I’ll list a few of his more notable contributions as a producer:
5. Phil Spector, the tragically flawed genius behind the Wall of Sound’s downward personal resulted in a murder conviction for which he is still serving time. His credits are some of the most globally known sing-a-longs.
6. Shane Lindstrom aka Murdabeatz(s/o fellow Toronto native Cory Litwin). One of the most in-demand producers in hip-hop right now.
7. The legendary Scott Storch (born in Halifax), whose keyboard and strings style has produced some of the most recognizable beats in history.
8. Dr. Dre:the man himself — what a career in music, and pushing so many influential artists to the top. Not a lot that needs to be said.
9. Pharrell Williams, one of the coolest producers whose career spans many genres. You can always tell it’s a Pharell touch.
10. Last but not least, Rick Rubin. An incredible array of hits, in everything from hiphop to death metal, and a career spanning over 20 years and the founding of Def Jam records.
There are so many talented producers out there, and it’s amazing to follow the trajectory of people who have influenced so many different, varied songs that we all know and love. These are just honourable mentions because Martin has so many hits, but music isn’t something — in my opinion — that is worth ranking or saying “this person is the best and better than so and so.” I just love learning about who’s behind the hits, nothing more.
Never miss a story from Chris Studer, when you sign up for Medium. Learn more