Things You Need To Consider About Flossing
Dental floss is so much more than just a piece of string. If you want to maintain your oral health and hygiene in the best way possible, you cannot do it without flossing. But you may wondering if there could be any way you can floss your teeth without injuring your gums because some area around and under the gum line also needs to be cleaned well.
Having that said, a few things about flossing are worth mentioning in this regard.
What do the statistics say?
According to statistics, 50% of Americans follow American Dental Association’s instructions on flossing. Nearly 30% do not floss on daily basis. And 18% of people say that they never floss.
Reason you should floss
You may wonder if only brushing can help you with proper dental hygiene. The matter of fact is that it cannot because brushing can only clean the visible areas of the teeth. There certain invisible areas including interdental spaces that cannot be cleaned with tooth brush. It means the food particles can get trapped in those areas and lead to the formation of plaque. Having that said, flossing turns out to be the only way you can get rid of the plaque from those areas at home. If the plaque is left in the area, it can cause cavities and gum disease. It can be even more dangerous as compared to the visible cavities.
So, you have to make sure that you are removing plaque from those areas with the help of dental flossing.
While you may be flossing daily, you have to make sure that you are doing it correctly. Many people keep flossing and wonder that they are not getting any benefit from this practice. This is due to the fact that most of the people are not aware of the right way to floss. A few things that you need to take into consideration in this regard are as under.
- You need an 18-inch long flossing threat in order to floss your teeth. Make sure that you are wrapped both sides well around the middle fingers of both hands.
- Now, you will need to pinch the thread tightly between thumb and forefingers. Then you will need to insert the tread between the two teeth.
- When thread reaches the gum line, curve the thread against the side of the tooth to form a ‘C’ shape of the thread.
- Now, rub the floss up and down. Make sure it is pressed well against the tooth.
- Make sure that you have flossed all of your teeth. The back of the teeth are also needed to be cleaned well.
Without flossing, you will not be able to achieve the best of oral hygiene. So, you have to make sure that you floss your teeth at least once on daily basis. For further instructions about how to floss well, you will need to consult your dentist.