Install Docker on Mac for mssql server
In the process into data science, data preparation is the major part to dive deeper. Combined with Udemy course, am going to install SQL server, which needs docker as prerequisite on mac OS. The tutorial shows how to do that here.
1. Download docker for mac
- Google “docker mac”, you will get result page like below:
- Enter the page and I would like to choose stable channel version. Note that it better to upgrade your mac os above 10.11 as the official website suggests.
2. Execute the downloaded file: docker.dmg and run it. At the beginning, I did not notice any popup on my mac. However, there is indeed an icon showing up on the tray.
3. Set RAM size to 4GB for the following SQL server.
Set to 4GB memory as SQL needs at least 3.25GB
4. Open a terminal and issue command “docker pull microsoft/mssql-server-linux” to download latest sql server.
5. Run the image of mssql-server
- docker run — name MySQLServer -e ‘ACCEPT_EULA=Y’ -e ‘ME_PASSWORD=********’ -p 1433:1433 microsoft/mssql-server-linux
6. Install sql_cli for client control. Before that, npm and node.js are needed to install it.
- brew install node
- npm install -g sql-cl
- ref: http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/install-node-js-npm-mac
7. Check if the container is running well: docker ps -a
- related command can be referenced https://philipzheng.gitbooks.io/docker_practice/content/container/rm.html
8. Log in as client
- mssql -u me -p *******