Gender bias often affects growth trajectories through pay gaps, promotion opportunities, and even, perceived credibility, but does our gender also determine how we perceive growth in the first place? Do men and women view growth differently?
When we first launched The Talent Map Project, there were a dozen hypotheses we set out to validate with data. Among them, was whether men and women were looking to attain the same things when it came to their careers.
When respondents were asked to select their top 3 most meaningful growth objectives, 3 levers stood out consistently for both genders — more money…
In an economy where people are our greatest assets, why hasn’t there been more emphasis on measuring our investments in people? Or better yet, our returns.
Enter Talent Analytics
It’s no secret that 64% of CEOs say creating a skilled workforce is an important priority for their organization over the next three years. But with over 30% and 40% of organizations citing leadership and talent analytics as their largest capability gaps, there will be a huge challenge for organizations to understand where they’re devoting their limited resources to and how they can close these gaps.
Talent analytics give us a…
Abandoned cubicles. A downsized workforce. Missed business opportunities. We all know it’s coming. It’s been painted as the corporate apocalypse. Case study after case study, the consensus remains the same: employers can’t fill positions due to a lack of applicants and an overall lack of technical competencies — and things will only get worse before they get better.
It’s a systemic problem and yet, business remains steadfast in its focus on attracting stronger talent to replace those who just left through an increased social media presence to reach a broader audience and more competitive pay.
Why retention is more important…
There is a ton of literature on how to develop people to their fullest potential, but who actually does it? Who is accountable for it? And who should be kept accountable for it? Is it the job of HR, Management, or the Employee themselves?
For a long time, HR lacked the visible metrics to form real insight into how employee behaviour, team dynamics and project assignments drive value at the organizational level. As a result, there were limited measures to hold HR accountable for how their hiring and talent development decisions affected other business units and individual employees.
Management has long searched for the right carrot to incentivize the 21st century workforce. In the age of instant gratification, many are turning to gamification. The premise behind it is simple: make work more like a game.
Understanding the Potential of Gamification
Games have traditionally been regarded as time-wasted pursuits meant for children. The Entertainment Software Association debunked this myth in their 2014 research, noting that the average age of game players is 31 years old. Just 29% of all game players are under 18 while the remaining 71% are split between the 18–35 group and the 36+ crowd.
Few things are able to provoke a collective eye roll from employees and managers alike, quite like hearing the term “annual performance review”.
While employee feedback has the potential to be a value-added driver in shaping behavior and improved performance, in its current form, 98% of staff find annual performance reviews unnecessary and another 48% say their performance processes are “weak” in improving development and driving business value.
What makes this form of feedback so ineffective?
A lack of real-time impact: Since annual or semi-annual evaluations aren’t communicated to employees frequently, they don’t allow for behaviours to be modified or…
Companies employ “engagement” strategies in all forms — everything from travel rewards to redeemable points to pool tables, virtual badges, and social peer-to-peer recognition. But beneath the flashy exterior of the unexpected gift card or the free trip, the question still remains — is it really meeting the critical needs of your workforce? And is it right for your organization?
We’ve seen the depressing stats. Globally, only 13% of employees are engaged at work while 87% are not engaged or actively disengaged.
Youth employment is down, employer talent shortages are up, the economy shrinks again and tuition costs continue to skyrocket. Employers with their exceptionally high qualifications are hesitant to take on more on-the-job training responsibilities while job seekers hold out for better paying jobs. Fuelled by disjointed expectations on both sides, we face an unusual situation where the majority of our skilled labour is either underemployed or unemployed. Why is this concerning? …