We take a break from more serious posts, to consider common etiquette for our modern day feasts. Have you committed any of these faux pas?
If you’re the host, don’t…
- Be late serving the food.
- Seat spouses or significant others together — boring!
- Rush through courses. Pause between them, leaving time for second helpings
- Serve dessert at the table — get up and have it in the living room to spice things up.
- Start washing dishes — cleaning up is a guaranteed evening-ender.
If you’re a guest, don’t…
- Be more than 25 minutes late, but never be exactly on time or early.
- Bring something you expect the host to integrate into the meal — he or she has everything planned.
- Use iPhones during the dinner, or at any other time during the evening — ever.
- Forget to pay attention to both people you are sitting next to.
- Stay too late or leave too early (especially at a small fete, where one premature departure can spur a mass exodus).