How to Build Your Personal Brand
A personal brand is just as important as a companies brand.
We spend everyday creating that brand. In turn it represents who and what we are more than a logo or tagline ever will.
Whether you are a solopreneur out there trying to make a name for yourself or a cubicle slave, your brand is yours alone. Every time we open our mouths, post on the web, send an email we are creating an impression. Each of these impressions in turn create our brand.
Many of us, myself included get hung up on the idea that we need a fancy logo or a cool website with all the bells and whistles to have a brand. We spend hours and hours creating a facade of sorts to show the world. This ‘brand’ is an empty shell without your heart and your mission included.
There are plenty of ways that we can build our brand every day. We can build it through our social media interactions, networking with friends, even during our day jobs. I know that last seems a bit odd and like something someone would do to get fired from their job.
Where do you spend most of your waking hours during the day? At your job right? Why not take advantage of this opportunity to build the brand of your while you are there?
Here are a five ideas to help along the way.
- Volunteer for work you are good at (even work you are not good at but want to learn or add the skill set.)
- Pay attention to the conversations of your co-workers. Beyond the daily dribble and gossip, they will share their life dreams and needs that maybe you can help them get.
- Use your voice for good. Our words determine our reputation long before anything else. Be the light of someone’s day rather than the downer. Speak blessings not curses.
- Actions speak louder than the words you say. Be the first one in the office and the last to leave. Show your dedication and hard work is above reproach.
- Genuinely care and show compassion for others. Everyone has a bad day, or tragedies in their lives. Many long lasting friendships and relationships begin with a sympathetic and empathetic ear.
- Bonus *** Your brand is only as good as your community. Build your community of allies at work that will shout your praises when you leave and support your brand by sharing it with others.
These all may seem rather simple and easy tasks to do right? Yet many of us, likely even you will skip or forget the easiest ways of building your brand.
Would love to hear the ways that you are building your brand as well. Look forward to your comments and feel free to share with your friends.