Interaction Design — Sprint 1
This week in studio, our assignment was to prototype a citizen science app that would allow users to upload data on the water quality of Puget Sound. The data I chose to focus on was turbidity, also known as clarity. The user I ended up choosing was recreational fishermen, because this user would be on the water regularly and would be able to easily take data on the clarity of the water. Using my knowledge of display, navigation, and situational considerations, I created a Pop demo of an app called the Clarity Project. Here is my video:
This experience was more stressful than it needed to be. Creating the video was the hardest part because I had to make it short enough to fit into the allotted 90 seconds. Ultimately, it was a good mental exercise for me to figure out what information would be most relevant in my video. I’m still curious about where to position each button of the app in such a way that would be considered “good UX design”.
What I enjoyed most about this project was that I got to further exercise my artistic skills. In the last charrette, one of my favorite parts was drawing out the cartoon of the smart-car scenario. Having the creative freedom to design the layout of my app was a nice experience. It was also fun researching how scientists measure water turbidity using a Secchi Disk. Moreover, I can see myself using Pop in the future to play around with my own app ideas.