Product Fail: Bic For Her Pens
There are some products that are once in a lifetime. There are some products that truly change the face of the industry as well as the life experience of the consumer. There are some products that alter the course of the human journey forever. What is one of these products, you ask?
Bic For Her pens.
My entire life I was writing with a man’s pen. I never truly realized why I was so uncomfortable, or why I could never get it to work the way I wanted to…despite all my practice writing.
Bic For Her is a line of pens exclusively for women that finally gives women all of the features they have been dying for in a writing utensil for hundreds of years:
- Easy Glide Ink Technology, for beautifully smooth writing
- Sleek pen silhouette and jeweled accents add style
- Soft contoured grip for all day comfort
- Medium Point (1.0 mm)
- Fashion Ink
These features were directly quoted from the Amazon posting of Bic For Her. Needless to say, reactions to these pens were strong.
These are just a few of the thousands of snarky, hilarious reviews left on Amazon for these pens. If you have some extra time, skip the memes and read these. I promise it’s worth your time.
Bic For Her pens failed because Bic made some pretty serious assumptions:
- Women were not satisfied by the current selection of pens on the market.
- Women were specifically not satisfied by the current selection of pens on the market because they did not have “feminine” color selection or contain “fashion” elements.
- Women make purchasing decisions for products based on color and sparkles on items like pens.
- Women would be willing to pay more for these items because they came in pink and purple, as opposed to a regular black pen.
- Women would not see this as a ridiculous marketing ploy.