The Aspiring Appreneur
The beginning of my Appreneur journey
I am Zeke and I am an aspiring appreneur. I would like to document my travels of how I reach appreneur success. What makes me so special? Absolutely nothing but I want it and I am relentless. I have written two blogs prior to this, one on becoming a master in Starcraft II and the other on being a self taught developer and getting an Android job. Both of these goals were achieved. I hope to share the lessons I learn along the way.
My current situation
I have an app that has under 50 downloads with no business model. The app is in a saturated market. I hope I have a niche. I appreciate Material design. I really want my apps to look great. I do have some users. I have high ambition and many app ideas.
- Downloads < 50
- Reviews under 5
- Money earned $0
- Money Spent $15
Experience & knowledge
- I have freelanced as an Android developer
- I have several years of professional Android development experience. I have released several personal projects, all of which have under 300 downloads and have made no money.
- As a professional Android developer I have worked on a handful of big brand applications.
- I have about a year of business development experience
- I have professional experience pitching and doing sales
- I have read a handful of business books, including The Lean Startup, Running Lean, Start Small stay small a developer’s guide to launching a startup and Positioning the battle for your mind.
- Mixpanel — I have a some analytics set up in my current project. My knowledge of interpreting analytics is minimal
- AppAnnie — which I am currently only using to see my ASO keywords.
- Trello, for organization
- Google Keep for quick notes and ideas
- Squarespace for my onepage
- Facebook groups and reddit for feedback and advice.
Plan of Action
My currently project Vocabulary Expertise does everything I set out for it to do. It is not very compelling. It is also not very efficient at teaching vocabulary words. I do think it has some charm as some people are using it. I have an idea to make the app more social and interesting. I have a trickle of users. Since the app is not ready for prime time I am not too worried about getting many users. I am not sure yet how much I should work on this vs starting a new project. I would like to work on the business and marketing side of this app. That is where I am in need of the most experience.
- Start an Appreneur mastermind group.
- Understand my market more
- Do some more customer development.
- Add a business model
- Do some more marketing
- I really need to do some ASO, currently I am getting very few views or downloads from GP
Check out part two Here:
Hi. My name is Spencer. I am a mobile indie dev and freelance mobile consultant. I aspire to be a full-time indie dev…medium.com