Easy Homemade Breakfast Sausage
Enjoying a hearty breakfast doesn’t have to mean eating a heavy, high-fat serving of fatty meats. Our homemade breakfast sausage packs a huge amount of flavor into a small amount of calories. Ground turkey may not sound like the juiciest, yummiest choice for a breakfast meat, but adding our secret ingredient–unrefined organic extra virgin coconut oil of course–give this sausage a sweet and savory flavor that will get you out of bed in the morning. Prepare this fast, easy and low-fat version of turkey sausage for a delicious accompaniment to poached eggs or your favorite paleo pancakes. Slide a patty of homemade breakfast sausage into a sliced biscuit and you have a healthy fast-food breakfast ready to go whenever you are.
Homemade Breakfast Sausage — Anytime
Yield: 8 sausage patties
Ingredients for Homemade Breakfast Sausage:
- 2 tablespoons Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes if desired
- 1 lb. low-fat ground turkey (allowed to reach room temperature)
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the organic extra virgin coconut oil and all of the spices in a large bowl, mixing them into a paste. Add the ground turkey and blend the spice paste evenly into the turkey. Make sure to allow turkey to reach room temperature before mixing. The chill from cold meat will harden the coconut oil, making it difficult to mix the spices and fat evenly through the sausage. Use a 2-ounce scoop to measure out eight patties or estimate the amount needed by dividing the meat into 8 equal portions. Shape patties.
- Place remaining one tablespoon of organic extra virgin coconut oil in non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Cook sausage in the hot oil approximately 3 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink in the center.
Originally published at cocotreasure.com on February 19, 2016.