Are you tired of losing money on Facebook and Instagram Ads?
Before you go ahead to create your first or next Facebook or Instagram ad, it is very important that you understand the keys to success. Many beginner advertisers just dive straight in and it’s no wonder that they struggle to get value for their money.
Based on my experience and mistakes using Facebook & Instagram Ads for my brands and clients, I compiled a list of 5 Facebook advertising tips that will help you get more customers or fans in 2018.
After reading this post, you will know the 5 most important things you need to do in order to grow your business and make more sales using social media advertising. Let’s dive in!
The first key to Facebook Ad success is getting your Ads in front of the right audience. This is not only the first key, it’s also the most important. The reason why targeting is important is because there is such a massive audience on Facebook and IG, so you need to be laser focused in who you put your ads in front of. Facebook is an advertising company and they want to make as much money from you as possible. The onus is on you to get your ads in front of the right people.
There are 3 ways to target;
- Core Targeting — This allows you to reach people based on their location, demographics (age, gender, etc.), interests, behavior and connections. When Facebook first introduced this feature, it was remarkable and the information is almost accurate. However, the game has changed now and there’s a new type of targeting that is even more powerful and it’s called Custom Audiences.
- Custom Audiences — If you are not using this, then you are advertising like it is 5 years ago because this powerful tool allows you to target people on Facebook or Instagram who have already visited your site or engaged with your social media post. As you can imagine, that’s an easier way to make a sale rather than just targeting someone who doesn’t know your business or has not interacted with you at all.
Types of Custom Audience — There are different types of custom audiences and there’s a word that links them together which is called Re-targeting or Re-marketing. You can re-market to people who have visited any page on our website or liked your post(s) or watched your video or subscribed to your email list. This has proven to be the most effective way to remind people about your brand and make more sales via Facebook or Instagram. You can create custom audiences through the following methods;
Website Custom Audiences (You’ll need to install Facebook Pixel) — People who have visited your website.
Email List Custom Audiences — Your email list of clients or leads
Video Views Custom Audiences — People who have watched your video
Page Engagement Custom Audiences — People who like, comment or share your posts/page.
App Engagement Custom Audiences — People who have used your app
Lookalike Audiences — The third and final way to target people on Facebook is through lookalike audiences. This tool is your best friend, because it allows you to scale your marketing effort efficiently. It allows you to reach people who are like your current customers, website visitors or social media followers. Let’s say you have 2,000 website visitors, this tool can turn those 2,000 people into a targeted audience of 200,000 people who are quite similar to your 2,000 website visitors. Amazing right?!
So what do you do if you don’t have anyone coming to your website yet?
Not to worry, you can start from scratch. First run an Ad using core targeting (that’s targeting based on interest, etc.) to get people to come to your website or watch your video and then those people will become your custom audience and on the back of that, you can then create a look alike audience to scale up.
The second key to Facebook Ad success is funnels. What is a marketing funnel and how does it really apply to Facebook ads?
On Facebook ad manager, just before you create your ads, you will see the funnels as Awareness > Consideration > Conversion. Let me explain, people firstly become aware of your product then they actually consider taking an action like watching your video or going to your website and then finally they will convert by making a sale or signing up or visiting your store in person.
You need to have this mindset because, Facebook Ads is different from Google search Ads and that’s because when someone goes to Google to search for Nike shoes, they have ‘almost’ already decided to buy Nike shoes, but on Facebook, people most of the time don’t go to Facebook or browse their feeds because they are looking to buy something, they are there to connect with friends or relax. That’s why you may need to create more awareness about your product first, then you can move them down the funnel towards making a sale.
Some examples of social media marketing funnel.
- Traffic > Email Leads > Sales via Email Marketing — Appropriate for someone selling a service.
- Lead Ads > Free Consultation > Sales over Phone — Perfect for coaches, teachers, local businesses etc.
- Video views > App Installs via Custom Audience or Website Signups> Premium Version Sale — Appropriate for people selling products.
The third key to success is your Ad format. The most important thing here is to make sure that you match your ad format to your marketing objective. For instance;
- If you want to drive traffic to your website, you can use a link or carousel ads (multiple images in one ad).
- If you want people to watch your video, obviously you will use a Video ad…lol.
- If you want to collect people’s contact details directly on Facebook or Instagram, I recommend using a Lead Ad form.
- If you want to make people take action on your website like shop, sign ups etc., you can use a Link ad (integrated with Facebook Pixel)
- If you just want likes and shares on your post(s), you can use the Image ad.
The fourth key so Facebook ads success is budget. The most commonly asked question in Facebook ads is How Much Does it Cost to Advertise on Facebook? There are two ways to look at it, the first is to look at the absolute minimum. The screenshot below shows the minimum ad spend in dollars.
- If you just want people to be aware of your product or service, there’s a minimum of $1 per day. (NO CLICKS)
- If you want some traffic to your website or video views, you must spend at least $5 per day
- If you want to promote offers or app installs, that will cost at least $40 a day
Another way you can budget, is to match your budget to goals. For instance you can use the guidelines below;
- Facebook or Instagram Fans: You can budget $0.5c (half a dollar) per fan
- Email Subscribers: Budget $1 per subscriber
- Website Traffic or video views or post like: Budget $0.35 per action (i.e. website visit, view)
- Product Sale: Budget $30 per conversion or sale
- App Installs (free app): Budget $2 per install
Disclaimer: Please note that these are just guidelines and they can vary depending on how well you implement the first 3 tips above.
The Ad Creative
The fifth key to success is your Ad creative, this is what people actually see in their Facebook or IG news feed. Here are the 4 parts to a great Ad creative;
- It’s Visual: Remember that there is a lot of competition for eyeballs in the news feed so it needs to catch attention. You should use bright colours, fine faces or interesting cartoons when designing your ad creative. See some great ad samples.
- It’s relevant: The image should relate to what the ad is about.
- Enticing offer: This is extremely important. Your ad should include an enticing offer, maybe a free eBook or 80% discount or get one free, free download, etc. Just something that will entice your prospective customers or fans. Offers increase your CTR (Click Through Ratio) and reduce your ad spend.
Strong Call to Action (CTA): Your ad MUST have a strong CTA. Learn more and watch now are the best two calls to action to use.
There are other tips to social media ad success like A/B split testing, monitoring and reporting and more. However, those 5 tips above are essential for anyone looking to get more customers or fans on Facebook or Instagram without spending too much or wasting so much money.
Thanks for reading!