To me, Instagram has always been the classy social network. Here’s how I rate Instagram’s changes over the years:
- DM’s: mostly useless to me, but I don’t mind that they’re there. I guess I use this feature to “forward” interesting ‘grams to my friends occasionally.
- Android: There’s room for everyone!
- Video: I was aprehensive at first, but it turns out it’s a nice addition. I was worried it would add “Vines” to my feed, but fortunately people (I follow) generally use it with taste. More like “motion photos”.
- Ads: They gotta pay the bills right? I don’t love ads on Instagram, but they do a great job of keeping the place classy.
- Non-square aspect ratios: FINALLY
- Longer video: I don’t spend much time watching longer videos, but they aren’t in my face.
- Non-chronological feed: I would switch it back to chronological if I could, but in all honesty it doesn’t affect my usage pattern of Instagram much. I still just scroll-scroll-scroll until I see photos I’ve already seen.
- UI overhaul: Love the new icon, ambivalent on the UI. Mostly OK with it now.
- Suggested friends/feeds (within main feed): Pretty useful actually.
- Stories: NO. This feature has the greatest potential to ruin Instagram for me.
Did I miss anything? I generally like the ancillary app content (Hyperlapse, Boomerang, Layout) that shows up in my feed, but those aren’t core features that have been added to the main app.