Traditional CDNs are Losing Competitive Edge in US Mobile App Arena
The PacketZoom team analyzed the Top 100 Websites and compared it with Top 100 Mobile Apps to see which CDN Solutions are dominating the competitive landscape and how much variation there is in CDN Market Share between Web and Mobile Apps.
CDN Market Share — Top 100 Websites
- No surprise: Akamai is leading the market with 35.3% market share
- Vendors such as Fastly, Verizon (EdgeCast) and Amazon CloudFront follow a 3:1 ratio
- Multiple smaller players indicating a mature, saturated market
Top 100 Website data provided by Intricately.com. The most powerful market intelligence tool for cloud decision makers, technical sellers, and market leaders.
CDN Market Share — Top 100 Mobile Apps
The PacketZoom team then analyzed the Top 100 Mobile apps — including names like Netflix, Uber and Snapchat — and broke down the findings by CDN Market Share, looking for the dominant players.
- Amazon CloudFront is leading with a 40% market share, most likely due to its strong developer relationships. Amazon CloudFront offers a content delivery service that integrates with other Amazon Web Services (AWS) products, which offers developers an easy way to distribute content to end users.
- Akamai and Verizon follow with 14% and 11% market share respectively
- Fewer smaller players indicate an evolving market
CDN marketshare for Top 100 Apps — US
Top 100 Mobile Apps Source: Apptopia with PacketZoom
The Mobile App arena is a new world, very different than the Web’s old landscape — one that is growing faster than anyone had predicted and is forecasted to continue its vast evolution. Mobile Apps require and should be supported by the latest solutions that have been designed with a mobile-first world in mind.
PacketZoom — Looking into the Future
PacketZoom solution shows optimal results with Amazon CF since both solutions are running in the same data centers. This saves the need for an extra network hop to the CDN edge server. Multiple mobile app developers that are already enjoying the ease of use of Amazon CloudFront discovered that coupling it with PacketZoom’s Mobile Expresslane is the easiest and most powerful way to maximize mobile app performance.
PacketZoom’s in-app technology is uniquely positioned as a CDN enhancer and not a CDN replacement. By removing roadblocks in the mobile last mile, PacketZoom is able to significantly accelerate performance by 2x to 3x, rescue up to 80% of sessions from TCP connection drop and reduce CDN costs. Learn more about PacketZoom here.