A little prototype.
It wasn’t long until I realised that a working prototype is something that would have to be done in order to take this project to the next level. Luckily there’s a bunch of pre-made swag that you can purchase, but I felt it would be best to in effect start from scratch.
The searching began for some WS2812B Neopixels. be it in a string and then have a crude job of soldering the rest together or managing to be extremely lucky and find an 8 X 12 matrix… Well an 8 pixel long neostick would be perfect; [here](http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111664305057?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) they are on EBAY for £3.99 each. — — After purchasing these I then realised that the lovely Ladyada has already made these types of boards in a 8 long stick!
Overall it probably cost a bit more than what a standard LED matrix would cost for even a 16x16 but I thought it would be a little easier and more acurate if I was limited to the pixels that Iwill be using in the final project.
Since I had 12 of the little things there needed to be a way of keeping them all together… The genius solution of Sellotape was the answer, Turn them on their backs make them neat, hold in place and stick down. Once poking all the mounting holes from the tape it was perfect almost as though the grid was purchased like it.
The only other thing I had to really think about was how to make the connection, luckily I had bunch of breadboard wires so I could use these. One thing i would mention is they we’re probably not going to be wha I use in the final project. The mounts are clunky which means you can’t always get a connection parralell to eachother and you have to arrange them in a fan shape. So next time, Some single core wire would do the trick, as long as it can take the current around 24 meters in length.
The reason for why the wires were laid out like this is two factors; Not being able to fit them in the way I wanted so an “inny-Outy” wire layout was needed. I’m aware some of you will probably be screaming at me now for not choosing the right colours to represent the correct association, but limited colours were available; So overall i look at it like this — White being data, The 2 identical colours being ground as there are two on each stick, and one other colour to represent power.
One bonus of the tape that i haven’t mentioned is that… you guessed it; it’s flexible on the back angle, so in theory I could wrap this around a wrist/pipe, which could come in handy at a later date as a project in itself.
So thats the physical side of things.