Future Shaping: building capacity to create the seeds of tomorrow
Do you worry that however much you’re doing to create positive change it just isn’t going to be enough given the scale of the challenge? Then maybe it’s time to start building your capacity to think and act as system change agent.
10th — 11th Nov 2016 and 26th — 27th Jan 2017
In the face of complex challenges, there are not enough people operating with the capacity to shift systems. Because we believe that a global community of change agents will be our best chance to accelerate a transition to a sustainable future, Forum for the Future is launching a School of System Change to equip people with the capabilities to lead system change initiatives that address the interconnected challenges we face as a society.
This is a global emerging area of practice and so, this autumn, we will pilot our first module, Future Shaping, consisting of two immersive sessions (1.5 days each) in November and January, peer learning and reflection in the period between, and a collective publication and immersive event at the end.
What will I be exploring?
- The role of mindset and worldview in opening new routes to creating change
- Ways to build your system change capabilities, develop your capacity to deal with complex challenges and apply that to your area of professional practice
- Future scenarios and change pathways, backcasting to help inform present action
- What these insights mean to your personal practice, the projects you are engaged in and how to get new ideas off the ground, either individually or within the learning cohort
- The role of a supporting community of practitioners facing similar challenges
We’ll request the following commitment:
- Attendance of 2 x 1.5 day in-person sessions taking place in London on the 10th-11th November and the 26th — 27th th January 2017.
- In November and December, 3–4 hours of personal reflection work per month and availability for virtual peer learning/support.
- Storytelling of your learning experience for the end-of-expedition publication.
- Contributions and attendance of a final event that will be designed by the group of learning explorers.
Note: Delegates will need to make their own arrangements for accommodation and evening meals.
Future Shaping pilot — Fees:
Corporate / policy-makers: £1,500
Special rates apply for:
Disruptors (start-ups / individuals / Future Shapers Network): £300
Forum’s Network membership / NGOs / academia: £1,000 (30% discount)
Monetary contributions will cover venue and food costs as well as a cross-subsidised scholarship for one Disruptor.
As this is a pilot, we are also extremely keen to consider offering discounts in exchange for in-kind contributions, for example, offer of free or heavily discounted venue space in central London; discounted publishing rate; a great deal on catering.
Places are limited and the deadline for applications is the 14th October 2016. To register, follow this link: https://www.forumforthefuture.org/forum-network/events/future-shaping-school-system-change-module