Winter is coming. But Coull are prepared.
Coull escaped the office in early September for a team event, co-sponsored by Sphere Digital Recruitment. The day’s focus was not only about company updates but self reflection and team building (and of course, some drinks to help with that #FridayFeeling).
Sphere’s James Everett and Coull’s Managing Director, Dan Ginns led a discussion around the Tuckman theory. In brief, it’s a theory that helps identify development within teams. Although this theory is over 50 years old, it’s still just as relevant today.
There’s four main stages of growth: forming, storming, norming and performing.
The team were asked to plot themselves and their teams on the graph, however, there isn’t a ‘right’ or a ‘wrong’ answer. The Tuckman theory is used to help define different stages in business, so that the team can identify where they are and where they want to be.
Self reflection is crucial in all walks of life. It’s important to recognise both weaknesses and strengths. If we can only see weaknesses, this leads to little self belief and full potential can’t be reached. On the other hand, if all we can see is our strengths and triumphs, this can lead us to fall into our own traps.
The same goes for businesses and company culture. It’s very easy to notice only strengths or only weaknesses. Yes, there’s always room for improvement, but there’s also a time to celebrate.
At Coull, we know how significant it is to be self critical, especially if we want grow as a business. More importantly, we know how to celebrate achievements (and throw a good party!).
What did we learn?
- Self reflection leads to success
- Not everyone plotted themselves in the same place on the graph — this means we can support each other and work together as a team
- Not to concentrate too much on KPIs (they only represents a small margin of people), instead we should think about brand uplift and awareness
- Data insights are important to back up marketing and sales claims
What are our priorities?
- Continuing to innovate in the video space
- Always aiming to add value for publishers, advertisers and audiences
- Case studies and data insights
- Identifying industry trends and adapting our roadmap to fit
- Creating a self serve model for our technology (SaaS)
Where is the industry going?
- Video…and more video!
- Artificial Intelligence, Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality
- A focus on better ads/ad formats and fighting against ad blocking
- Anti fraud and brand safety are just as important
One achievement in particular, is how far we’ve come as a team — in this year alone.
Since May, we’ve had many key hires.
Meet the new Coull team members…
Dan — Managing Director
Azad — Programmatic Demand Sales Director
Alice — Demand Account Manager
Alex — Agency Sales Director
Toby — Developer
Harry — Supply Account Manager
Naomi — Marketing Executive
And now, for the run up to Christmas, Coull are prepared for the winter ahead…