2015 was a year in which I made good on quite a few resolutions thank to the power of creating rituals (basically, doing the same thing over and over until it becomes a habit). In order to move forward, first let’s recognize what I did right in 2015.
My weight dropped from 85kg to 79kg and stayed there without yo-yo’ing plus my waist dropped from 35" to 32". This came from weight training 4 days a week during my lunch hour. I also learned to eat salad for lunch everyday without going bonkers. There is no longer any dread of taking my shirt off at the beach, in fact I quite welcome it.
I learned to meditate and calm my mind against the storm of emotions that overwhelmed me with fear and loathing my entire life. With this new ability came the gift of mindfulness, which has helped me to better appreciate my family and be grateful for what I have. And it all started with an app called “Headspace”.
My financial situation continued to strengthen, as I hedged bets and purchased my 3rd piece of property close to a school I want my daughter to attend.
I did not manage to learn how to scuba dive although wanting to do so.
I started the year catching up with old friends, but as work started to pile up, I forgot to do so.
Completely did not do any charity or volunteer work in 2015.
My Resolutions for 2016
And for 2016, I’ve decided to do things differently and make a list of things that I won’t do instead.
- I don’t want to be in the rat-race forever, so I will force myself to grow and move out of my comfort zone by finding & attending courses and networking to become a self-employed entrepreneur so that I can move towards financial independence.
- I don’t want to live in fear in case shit happens, so I will have SGD 200k liquid at any one time.
- I don’t want to be a muscular bear, so I will swim for 20 mins at 7am every morning, 4 time a week before going to work to get my cardio workout since I dislike running.
- I don’t want my wife and daughter to grow distant from me, so I will disconnect and go home at the very latest by 7pm every day and not check email after that.
- I don’t want my daughter not to see the Great Coral Reef before it’s gone, so we will visit it in 2016.
Don’t wish me luck. I’m going to get this done.