Ask these questions before commissioning a new brand identity
Whether you’re a budding start-up currently without a logo, or a more established business looking for a brand re-fresh, there are five main topics that you should consider, ideally before commissioning a new brand identity:
Topic 1 — The company
- What is your company / product or service name?
- When was it established and how big is it currently?
- Can you describe your business?
- Why was your company started in the first place?
- Describe your business in one word
- Who are your main competitors?
- What sets your company apart from the competition?
- How do your competitors market themselves?
- What services or products do you provide?
- What are the strengths of your company?
- What are the weaknesses of your company?
- What are the long-term goals? (5 years, 10 years etc)
Topic 2 — The audience
- Who is the primary target audience?
- What is the target audience’s age group?
- Are they mainly male or female, or both?
- Where do most of your audience live?
- What is their average household income?
- What new markets would you like to break into?
- How would your customers describe your company in one word?
- How do customers find out about your company?
- How do you plan to communicate with your audience?
Topic 3 — The branding
- What’s the mission statement of your company?
- Do you have a current logo or identity?
- What do you like or dislike about the current logo or identity?
- What do you want a new brand to accomplish?
- Do you have a strapline?
- Describe how you feel when you look at your current branding
- What would you like your audience to feel when they look at your new branding?
- Traditional or modern? Established or youthful?
- High-end in feel or cost-effective?
- Consumer, Trade or Business-to-Business?
- Friendly in feel or more corporate?
- Why does your current branding use those particular colours, fonts?
Topic 4 — Design thoughts
- Any colours you particularly like and why?
- Will the new logo be mainly used in print, online or both?
- Anything from the existing logo that you’d like to keep or explore?
- What would define a successful logo & identity for your business?
- Are there any restrictions to consider?
- What else does the brand need to work across? (web, social media etc)
- Any examples of other branding you like and why?
- Any examples of other branding you dislike and why?
Topic 5 — The project
- Do you have a budget in mind?
- How many initial concepts would you like to see?
- Is there a deadline that needs to be considered?
- Who will be the internal decision makers on the project?
- Will there be anyone else involved in the project?
- How frequently would you like to catch up? Weekly? Fortnightly?
- Do you require brand guidelines now or in the future?
- Is there anything else you’d like to cover?
Some of these questions, more pertinently about your business, should be thought about before briefing a designer or design agency. Other questions can be discussed in the briefing meeting.
Either way, we hope they help you to enter into your branding project with some direction and focus.