Nonprofit Website Checklist
At Creative Science Labs, we believe that a website should be an organization’s tool to tell their story online in a powerful, compelling way. When we engage with a nonprofit, NGO, etc., it is important for us to understand their specific business needs so that we can design and develop a website that will support their organization’s goals and strategy.
While all of our website design and development projects are custom-built for each of our clients, there are some consistencies that we’ve found across the board.
This checklist is what we’ve found to be the “must-haves” of strong websites that can amplify impact:
HOMEPAGE THAT CONNECTS + COMPELS
- Strong hero image that gives the website visitor an immediate sense of the purpose of the organization
- Use of multimedia (images, video, etc.) to convey message and emotion
CONSISTENT WEBSITE DESIGN
- Color scheme sticks to around 3 colors, no more than 4
- Web page design is consistent throughout the website: Header font, content font, uniform colors and visuals, use of contrast, proximity, and alignment, balance of text, graphics and white space.
CLEAR, CONCISE, AND WELL-ORGANIZED CONTENT AND MESSAGING
- Compelling information above the fold that will capture the viewer in 5 seconds or less
- Well-organized and succinct content and messaging: Use of headers, bullet points, and short paragraphs. Website visitor can quickly gather the who, what, why of the organization and its mission.
- Navigation bar includes main topics that the anticipated website audience needs and would like to know about
VARIETY OF WAYS TO ENGAGE
- A variety of Calls-to-Action (CTAs) that help the website visitor, wherever they may be in their user-journey, interact with your website and become involved with your organization (i.e. donate, sign up for newsletter, learn more)
- Regularly posted, new content that will be useful to your visitors and gives them a reason to return to your site
- Strong website footer that allows each website visitor to quickly gather ways to connect with your organization (i.e. social following options) and ways to reach you (i.e. contact us form, email address, phone number)
- Opportunity to donate: Showcased on homepage in a few places and the process to donate is easy to understand, convincing and informative
- Responsive (optimized for mobile)
Want to see this nonprofit website checklist in action? Check out some of our work here.
Ready to chat about creating a website that will act as a powerful tool for your organization and mission? Drop me a note at email@example.com