First work on the Farm

I still am waking up at about 2am, 3 and 4, but I am getting better at falling asleep again. This morning the roosters made sure I didn’t miss the 3:30 am alarm. And pretty much every hour after that.

It got light about 5:00 am and so I got up. I don’t even know how mom and dad exited the room so quietly and how early. When I walked out at 5:30, animals had already been fed and we were ready for my first job. We put on long pants, long shirts, hats and rubber boots and headed out to the what I call “jungle orchard” on the side of the property. We had a large plastic bag full of small bags with styrofoam netting and a rubberband. The job is to bag the fruit on the white guava plants. The fruit need to be about 3" in diameter or larger and free of major blemishes or bug intrusions. I got all of that information through observation only of course. Bagging the fruit when it is small allows it to grow up unmolested by the many insects who want to snack on it. Pretty clever huh? If I didn’t mention before, this farm is 100% organic, pesticide free.

After we want through about 75 bags, we stopped and chopped some bananas down and also many Banana flowers, which I think is on the menu for dinner!!! Side note, we just had a lovely clear broth pork shank, rice noodle, daikon and carrot soup for lunch. I promise I will start taking pictures of this food as mom is an awesome cook. (Sorry Rob, I’m failing you!)

These banana flowers are about the size of. A large melon but cone shaped. They are heavy enough that you would want one to fall on your head. Mom whacked them down with a wicked machete (sp). She jumps and whacks at the same time, it’s impressive.

We came back in for water and then off to the next chore, clearing some kind of crazy weed away from one of the fish ponds. I should have taken a before and after because we cleared some serious ass weeds about as tall as us. We used these flat sickle like blades attached to a long pole. You jam the pole into the base of the plant a little below soil line and it cuts the plant down and we pull it off to the side. The netted fence that once existed to keep the plants from invading the water had fallen down. I think the next step might be a new fence to hold back the plants as they grow back. This work took us to about 10 am and by then you are dripping in sweat (more than normal) and really in need of more water. Below is end result

When we came back, we were pretty dirty and so she started a load of her family’s hand washing. I observed so that I could do a load next. Our clothes are hanging out in the sun and I hope it doesn’t rain today. But the wind gives a pretty clear warning before it starts.

Oh and lastly, Bratty monkey, which is my new name for him, took yam from my hand today. We are almost friends I think.

Like what you read? Give Cris Weber a round of applause.

From a quick cheer to a standing ovation, clap to show how much you enjoyed this story.