How to Fold a Dumpling
Come make 饺子 with us! We will teach you three different ways to fold a dumpling, so you’ll have a tasty snack to eat 😊. Check out the graphic below and scroll down for more detailed instructions.
- Moisten the edges of the wonton wrapper with a little water. This will help the wrapper stick better to itself.
- Spoon some filling onto the wrapper, just enough so that you are still able to close the wrapper up.
- Fold the wrapper in half to form a rectangle. Press down at the three free edges of the rectangle to seal.
- Press your thumb into the center of the dumpling where to filling is to form an indentation. This should make a small dent that will help the dumpling fold easier.
- Lightly wet the bottom left corner of the dumpling. Bring the right corner of the dumpling over and press to seal.
- Moisten the edge of the skin with water.
- Spoon filling onto the skin, and spread it out to within 1/2 inch of the edge. The filling should only be about 1/4 inch in thickness.
- Cup the dumpling in one hand and gently fold it up by closing your hand. Start pleating and crimping the edges, leaving the center open.
- Once the entire edge is pleated, gently squeeze the dumpling “purse” to help set the shape. You should have a nice dumpling purse when you finish!
- Moisten the edge of dumpling skin with a little water.
- Spoon some filling onto the dumpling, and fold the dumpling in half to form a half-moon shape. Press down to seal the edges.
- Lightly moisten the outside of the dumpling with water. Dip your finger into some water and gently spread it out along the edge of the half-circle.
- Starting on one side, start making pleats in the dumpling. Press down lightly to seal the pleats.
- Continue making pleats all the way around the edge of the dumpling. Pinch the pleats lightly to seal completely. Congratulations, you’ve made a dumpling!
Make sure to come our Dumpling Making Night! The event will be held in the Exhibition Hall: Centennial, from 6:30–8:00 pm on Thursday, March 16. We can’t wait to see you there!